Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any Freebie Boats?

Options
  • 13-08-2023 9:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Not much of a chance, I know.

Always worth asking, though.

Anyone know of any abandoned, unwanted, or other free boats that might be available?

Nominal fees considered, too.

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,320 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

Waterways Ireland are removing abandoned boats from the canals and rivers around Ireland at the moment , when they are done they will be auctioned off to the highest bidder , the date will be post in the paper and on their website. You could also go around the marinas and ask them. Also try donedeal, remember boat are worth next to nothing what you want to buy is something with the best running engine you can afford if you don't know about boat engines bring someone with you that does. There's no such thing as a free boat 😁😉

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Ermit

Thanx Fergal!

Those auctions might be a good option. And Your, other, ideas.

Yes, a good engine is important. I might go for something small with sail power. A sea going canoe, even. If there is one suitable for a wheelchair user. I heard You can attach small sails to them.

However, free lunches and boats are available. Not, always, easy to find. When You have no alternatives, You learn that keeping on looking can, sometimes, work out.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,320 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

It took me a while to find the right boat that I could adapt to take the wheelchairs and when I did find one it was not what I had in mind 😯 but it turned out ok in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 66,882 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Is there a thread/blog on adapting that Fergal? Looks an incredible transformation

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,805 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Ah Fergal, you need to include the first photos, of when it came out of the drink!

Incredible job, highly recommended reading for anyone who stumbles across this thread and hasn't heard the story.....

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Ermit

A good job! Thanks for The Link.

How did It sink?

I was looking at doing up a Second Hand Lifeboat, at one stage. There were three available for €2,000 each, in Norway, a couple of years back. They were in perfect condition, too. I'd have needed an EU Navigators Licence (or something, forgotten the details) to sail it back. They were gone before I could organise The Paperwork. Bit of a chicken and egg thing...

The next cheapest option was a Lifeboat seller in Scotland. Those aren't great, and cost €20,000 for one that looks like it might outlast a storm. Just not doable, with the materials for fitting out, etc.

So free, or nearly, is doable.

I'd, only, be after something seagoing. If anything shows up.

Maybe GoFundMe, etc.?

The owner passed away and over time a mooring chain cut a hole in the hull.

Maybe you could lock at an 80s bayliner trophy they have a back space and door that could be adapted for a wheelchair they are a good see going boat. Probably a few sitting in marinas around the country. If you're looking for cheep I wouldn't be looking at bringing it in from another country.

Advertisement