Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Options for a saloon-type family car?

Options
  • 12-08-2023 7:05pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,243 Mod ✭✭✭✭

My 10yo Octavia is starting to get a few issues and I’m worried it’s on the verge of turning into a money pit, so I’m thinking of upgrading.

I haven’t done any in-depth research yet, but considering going new (if the trade-in price allows).

I’m looking for a similar kind of car - something spacious with a decent boot… but I’m not mad on the crossover/mini-SUV options. That seems to narrow my options considerably, though.

By the looks of things the Octavia is my best option in my price range, and until now I’ve had a positive experience with it so would be happy to stay with one… but I wanted to check to see if I’m missing any other potential alternatives on the market at the moment.

It seems like saloons are out of style at the moment, so there aren’t many to consider, but I may not have seen all that’s out there.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,122 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Your Octavia is actually a hatchback rather than a saloon. However most saloons have now been replaced with crossovers/SUVs. Big saloons like Mondeo, Avensis, Passat all discontinued now due to dwindling sales and the growth in popularity of crossovers. Octavia is probably still king when it comes to family practicality in regards traditional type cars.

You could also look at the bigger Superb depending on your budget, bigger than the Octavia again and still retains the hatchback boot for practicality. Would be a step up from an Octavia. A leftfield option would be the current Peugeot 508, it's a 4 door coupe style fastback so still has a hatchback boot for extra practicality, slopping headroom could be a challenge for tall people but it's over a pretty stylish offering in otherwise sober segment.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,401 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

Hard to look past Skoda here. Either model mentionned.

Your post suggests people still want a family saloon, but fashions have changed.

Does the customer get a say. Anyway, hopefully some makes like Skoda keep selling the big saloons.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭ZookeeperDub

The Octavia is based on the Golf platform. The Superb on the Passat platform.

Without any sort of budget hard to give option.

If you have budget the re-released Toyota Camry is some value for money. It was released to rival the A6 and 5 series. Huge car, high spec, nice to drive and depending on driving the hybrid is a good option.

As you said saloons are out at the moment so you can get the Camry at a decent price as Toyota are pushing Crossovers more

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,243 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

Of course - I'm bad at car categories... I always think of a hatchback as a car with a flat boot, like a Golf... when it sticks out I think 'saloon'.

Anyway - the Peugeot does look quite nice, would have to see it in the real world to judge if it did the job size-wise. But good to know I'm not too off-base thinking the Octavia may be the best option.

I imagine the move to the crossover is largely led by demand, but I'm surprised to see how much it's moved in that direction. In looking around I noticed that Opel have even stopped making the Insignia and are planning to reboot it as a crossover-type car next year.

Thanks.

I'm still not 100% sure on budget to be honest - but I suspect the likes of the Camry might be out of range for me at the moment. A Corolla might be within reach, though. That was always a solid car - I presume it's still a decent option?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭ZookeeperDub

All Toyota are if you like the interior. Im not a huge fan but mate had the Camry, has a Lexus now and the interior was very similar.

Most car companies are stopping cars now and moving to SUV/Crossover. The American market only want to buy them and Europe is following.

• Advertisement
Advertisement