Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Airbnb- Guest ratings

• 11-08-2023 10:24pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,302 ✭✭✭

Jayzuz- didn’t know this exists until a recent rental on the site- sorry but this is completely feiced up.

I understand Airbnb has issues with unruly guests- but both they and the people advertising their properties are making a mint out of the whole thing,

Imagine your local pub rating you as a customer?

Fck off - like just fck off- if someone who provides substandard holiday/guest accommodation to me but yet can rate me as a member of Airbnb???

Go fck yourself Airbnb

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭T-Maxx

Don't use it then so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,302 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

I have done up to now, many times but this is the first time the host rated me - can’t believe they’ve introduced this feature. Never knew it existed or how long it’s been there- but I think it’s recent enough- anyway, yeah I won’t be using it if customers are rated as well as hosts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,625 ✭✭✭suvigirl

I have lots of guest reviews on air b&b, all good 😊

Can't see it being different to the reviews of sellers on adverts etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 70,008 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Its been there since day 1.

What did they rate you down on? Because I doubt you'd be this annoyed if it was a positive review.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,364 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

I've never known it not to be there.

I think it's important.

For both host and guest to rate each other.

Wouldn't you like to know as a host who was coming in under your roof?!

To thine own self be true

• Advertisement

Didn’t rate me down at all - it’s just the fact of being rated in the first place that I find extraordinary - a consumer being rated by the producer /sorry I’m probably old fashioned here and a complete dinosaur but since when did people who pay for a product get rated?

Do people think this is a good thing considering the fees Airbnb charge which are ultimately passed on to the consumer?

I just don’t get it - I’m used to surveying the producer, not the other way round.

But I’m not a host and frankly couldn’t care less

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,625 ✭✭✭suvigirl

They have been on adverts forever, maybe other marketplace platforms, I'm not sure

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

In theory for the original idea of airbnb this is very good. That is to say a stranger going into someones house and staying in a spare room.

In general I'm not the biggest fan of the idea.

Adverts rates sellers in the main but has also a feature to rate buyers which distinguishes itself from donedeal in a way - but these are mostly one-off purchases or small fry purchases and links sellers with genuine buyers- Airbnb mostly insists on payment in advance of arrival so that issue doesn’t arise- if you trash a place as a buyer, there’s an appeals process and also a ban process so a serial apartment trasher won’t appear in current guise- they’ll likely switch username - but payment at the least will be forthcoming in advance of arrival

• Advertisement

We were in Belfast a few years back for a gig and booked an AirBnB. Basic enough place down in the Holylands, but grand for a bed and an early exit back down to civilisation the next morning.

Place was cold, had a heap of rules in the kitchen, and was just about functional without any love having being put into it.

Left a 4 star review with no feedback. The owner then responded back and said we hadn't brought a glass down to the kitchen or dressed the bed, and that we weren't in keeping with the "ethos" of AirBnB.

Then herself started getting a few messages as we had contacted him in advance regarding parking. Threatening enough when we had forgotten about it a week later.

Took 3 months to close my AirBnB account because of his snarly response. In fairness it didn't take long for the fire regulation authorities in Belfast to get back to me regarding my observations about the property.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,151 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

OP did you realise that taxi driver on FreeNow also rate passengers?

Anyplace you rate them, you can assume they rate you too.

Yeah I got the feeling that regardless of how much I paid, I was the one on “trial” for leaving less than a 5/5 rating - and sorry but that’s just bullshite- and I can’t believe there are people, no less posters on this thread, who think that’s a good thing. It’s total and utter bollox- I’ll use Airbnb again but if there’s pressure on buyers to keep a good rating, that just means sub standard accommodation will be rated highly coz no one wants the “hassle” of a bad review either way- it’s complete commercial facisim- FFS🤪

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭T-Maxx

I really fail to understand what the issue is here. Surely you can understand that as a host I'd rather have people with a good overall rating as opposed to some dirty scumbags known to leave the place in a mess.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,558 ✭✭✭pgj2015

I wish I could rate my passengers, they can rate my business but I cant rate them as I dont use free now or any of the apps.

Customers who book a taxi then turn their phone off rather than letting you know they dont need the taxi anymore.

booking a taxi a month in advance, then cancelling it by text 10 minutes before the trip.

whats good for the goose is good for the gander and if a person has a lot of bad reviews from different hosts then it will be obvious that they are a problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 172 ✭✭pat_sconce

So you left someone's gaff in rag order and they have called you out on it to warn others.

That's why Airbnb works. Hosts can weed out destructive guests

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭chooseusername

Where on the site can I find how I've been rated as a guest?

I’ve hosted/been a guest on Airbnb for years. The reviews are absolutely vital to both hosts and guests. I always read the reviews of the places I want to stay, I check the guest reviews of those who want book my house, and I always give good reviews to good guests. I don’t stay in places with bad reviews, and I don’t let to guests who have bad reviews. It is a fantastic system as it ensures hosts keep standards high, and guests behave themselves.

Incidentally, neither can see the others review until both are submitted or 14 days after the visit, this prevents bias/pressure based on the others review, If you are a good guest, you should have no concerns, if you aren’t, then it’s good that other hosts are warned.

if you don’t like it, tough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 172 ✭✭pat_sconce

?

This is exactly how Airbnb works.

I have my settings to approve guests before confirming a booking.

I check their ratings, read between the lines and decide.

I decline about 2 in 5. Americans are the worst in terms of tidiness, Brits always look for an angle of complaint to try and get partial refund.

Unless you have 5 stars from the majority of your stays, I'll reject it. (Btw, it is an official holiday home with correct planning for short stays)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭dickdasr1234

deleted

What a presumptious, ignorant response. And from a revered moderator too!

TBF, op’s reaction to a review seems out of proportion in the absence of something he/she isn’t happy with. So not so presumptuous.

Same, I tend to favour families. Absolutely never let to anyone with a bad review.

Betheholyjaysus. These days you don't even need a to buy a dictionary!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭loobylou

At the end of a stay a host will be asked to rate you on the following criteria on a 1-5 star basis,

How clean you left the place

How well you followed house rules

How well you communicated with the host.

They then write a short review of the guest which attaches to the guests profile page and will be visible to other potential hosts that the guest contacts in future,

A host may also add a note that will only be visible to the ex-guest.

A host will also be asked privately by Airbnb whether or not they would recommend that guest to future hosts, although I have no idea how Airbnb use this information. I guess if enough hosts say no the person will be dropped by Airbnb as a customer.

The five star rating system used is rather crude, even a 4 star is very damaging to a persons reputation. As a host I would be somewhat wary of any enquiry from guests with less than a 4.5 average.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,673 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

There is good pyscology behind it, it is related to the thread on antisocial behaviour by teens as well, on this thread it's an adult that is annoyed about good or bad behaviour having consquances.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,673 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

The idea around social credit are similar. I happened to be on a flight when two drunken idiots kicked off, as soon as the plane landed the poiice met the plane by that stage they has sobered up a bit, as we got off we hear the conversion with the police they were being told they could be banned from flying for 2 years. The look on their faces shocked that actions have consequences.

• Advertisement

What on earth are you on about? Ive already said the review wasn’t bad

Which makes your beef with the review system a little confusing. If you look at reviews when booking accommodation, why the anger about the host reviewing you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,929 ✭✭✭SteM

We used Airbnb for a place in Fuerteventura last October. We had organised an airport drop-off through the host and it turned out he was the one dropping us off, it was part of his little business there.

On the way up to the airport he asked us if we had any issues with the apartment and we were chatting away grand, but as we were getting out of the taxi he said 'don't forget to give me a 5 star review and I'll do the same'. There was definately an implication that his review would be tied to mine. I had paid for the place, followed the rules and left it in spotless so should have a 5* review without an issue. If I had issues with the place I should have been allowed to note them without a worry he would mark me down for doing that. It makes a mockery of the review system tbh.

Wheres the incentive for me to rate a property badly if in turn the property owner rates me badly? The current rating system just encourages 5/5 ratings through fear and an easy life

Again, neither you nor the host gets to see each others reviews until you both submit them, or after 14 days. So you could have left a stinker of a review if you wanted, it would have no baring on his review if you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,929 ✭✭✭SteM

Okay, I really wasn't aware of that as I haven't used the site much. Cheers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭chooseusername

As it happens I didn’t think my review was a “stinker” - all my words were positive and I didn’t mention any issues in my written review - however my rating overall was about a 4/5 - not terrible by any means but obviously I’m learning how that in Airbnb land, this is like the kiss of death 🤪

I hope you see now that host/guest reviews are blind until both are submitted. There is no pressure from either side, you could rip a host, and vice versa, and that would not affect the others review.

It’s your last sentence that’s the key here- “pressured ratings” are frankly worse than no rating at all.

The house I rented had something like 120 reviews which gave the overall property an extremely high 4.9 average out of 5

There was absolutely no way the property would be 4.9 on a website where the guest wasnt also rated - it would be more like a 3.8 - 4.2 range -still a very good rating but not a perfect one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭Dr Turk Turkelton

Op obviously wasn't a 5 star man.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭StrawbsM

The rating is revealed at the exact same time. Neither party will know what’s in a review before doing their own review. So there’s no need to be anything but honest.

Ah right ok- so obviously the person I rented from fears losing their “superhost” status - I think you need something like four 5 star reviews for every 4 star review submitted in order to remain a superhost.

So essentially while a 5 star rating could mean the place is bloody brilliant, it’s more than likely just saying that the place is commensurate with the description provided - they probably should have just made it a simple yes/no rating - getting caught up with star ratings that come with much more baggage linked to traditional rating systems doesn’t really make sense

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭loobylou

Unfortunately some people rate the property in a similar way to hotel ratings, ie the place/experience was very nice but not really like a 5star hotel level of comfort, more a 3 star. So they leave a 3 or even 4 star review which is a kiss of death in Airbnb world!

I’m getting that now alright- yeah, star ratings reviews come with many years of rationale - Airbnb is that little bit different and as a result should’ve steered clear of such a ratings system

I suspect most see the rating system as one of the best things about Airbnb. Knowing that reviews are provided only by hosts/guests who actually stay there and comment on their experience in a manner which is free from dependence on/influenced by the other’s review, lends credibility and incentivises good conduct/service.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,804 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

Even hosts that have a separate property are trying to make some money, and I doubt many have the cash reserves to fix up a property after hooligans.

I see no problem with guests being rated, don't be an asshole and it won't be a problem.

Look I’ll hold my hand up here- I’ve learned over the last day that the rating system on Airbnb is quite different to that on other websites and the meaning of 5 stars is more like “nowhere is perfect but this place is good enough” and 4 stars probably means “this place has some issues that need to be resolved” .

The property owners know this very well as it’s in their ongoing interest - as an occasional property renter, this aspect kindof passed me by and I imagine it probably passes other people by too.

Also I can see now the benefit of independent reviews if both renters and property owners- my review by the property owner was perfectly fine - it just feels that the whole property reviews at least are kindof based on an accepted 5/5 approach - I’m not mad on that idea but at least I’m now aware of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭tesla_newbie

The ratings system is a vital component, it allows both guests and hosts to judge where to stay or who to host , if hosting strangers in you’re own house while you are there , you don’t want problem people

we do Air B n B and have never had a bad guest

Did you always get a 5/5 rating and if not how did you feel?

I can tell you that we got a bad review from a guest who we refused to let her two dogs stay in the house, even though our ad states a no pet policy. It didn’t bother me as it was out of kilter with all the other reviews.

• Advertisement
Advertisement