Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Water tank in the attic

Options
  • 11-08-2023 6:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 27

Hi, did anyone remove the water tank in the attic and connected the house into the mains or to the well water straight away?

I have concerns about the quality of the water in that tank.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,595 ✭✭✭Yellow_Fern

I am not a plumber but I think the kitchen tap is not normally connected to the tank. You can get a cover for the tank

Edit: typo

Post edited by Yellow_Fern on

• Registered Users Posts: 45,958 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Is your current supply from a well?

Regardless of the source you will need a tank somewhere in the house.

Kitchen taps are usually connected to the mains feed.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 zergetek

Yeah thank you for highlight that, but I don't think that water from the tank is suitable for washing teeth and taking a bath or even washing hands. Maybe flushing the toilet the only thing I would use it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭Buffman

How are you going to get hot water without a tank? Pretty much every hot water system needs a tank of some sort. Even electric instant hot water taps/showers have to be tank fed to stop them running dry and blowing up if the mains water is cut.

Cleaning out your tank regularly would be far less hassle if you're concerned about water quality. It's common for commercial tanks to have a cleaning schedule, there are plenty of companies out there doing it if you don't fancy doing it yourself. And if your tank doesn't have a lid on it, put one on it.

FYI, if you move to a 'smart' meter electricity plan, you CAN'T move back to a non-smart plan.

You don't have to take a 'smart' meter if you don't want one, opt-out is available.

Buy drinks in 3L or bigger plastic bottles or glass bottles to avoid the DRS fee.

• Advertisement

How is a lid going to help against algae and bacteria?

Im not sure if you just want to argue about something or are interested in getting answers to a query. You have given no detail whatsoever so unless you provide the info no one is able to help.

I asked before but you choose not to answer - where is your water coming from at present.

If you dont trust the quality now what type of water are you using on a daily basis for personnel hygiene for example ... brushing teeth, showering/bathing, hand washing, washing machine usage etc etc.

There is no argument here. But let me make this simple. Apart from the water source and any other issues I have mentioned before I want to get rid of the cold water tank ( the hot press stays where it is) and I want to connect the mains water (just like the cold tap in the kitchen) to every pipe which are feeded by the cold water tank ( or cistern) at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭SC024

You cant do that, against regulations you have to have a break tank. Even a combi boiler system which is pressurised has to be connected via pump to a break tank.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭Buffman

A lid will help prevent dirt and insects from entering the tank, it will also keep direct sunlight off the water if that is an issue.

As long as your water is being used regularly and not left standing for long periods, it should replenish itself often enough with fresh treated mains water for tank algae and bacteria to not major concern. Also, you are specifically advised not to drink any water except mains water which is why the cold kitchen sink tap will always be fed directly be off the mains.

As I've said, if you're really that concerned about it, clean the tank regularly.

FYI, if you move to a 'smart' meter electricity plan, you CAN'T move back to a non-smart plan.

You don't have to take a 'smart' meter if you don't want one, opt-out is available.

Buy drinks in 3L or bigger plastic bottles or glass bottles to avoid the DRS fee.

• Advertisement
Advertisement