Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Buying car from dealer without viewing?

Options
  • 10-08-2023 11:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭

I’m looking at a couple of cars online that I like the look of but the garages are in Donegal and Galway.

The cars are UK imports, FSH , AA checked etc… and the garages in question have a lot of positive reviews (which I take with a pinch of salt) and offer a free delivery service.

Im based in Meath and don’t fancy making the trip up the view the cars as l don’t really have the time.

It seems an obvious question but would I be mad to purchase a car without viewing or test driving ?

Has anyone done it ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,429 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I know a few people who bought cars blind during covid, most if not all of the cars weren’t as tidy as the buyers were led to believe and in all cases they didn’t exercise their right to their cooling off period.

if you’re in any way particular about what you’re buying then seeing it in person is essential.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭pron

Distance selling regulations will apply, including returning for a refund etc if unhappy .. worth checking that side of things!

(In essence, distance selling means you have rights you normally wouldn't if you show up and buy it !)

• Registered Users Posts: 51,179 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

If you don't have time or it's too far to go view a car then how do you plan to time to bring it back for warranty work?

I certainly wouldn't buy a car especially a used car without first seeing it, I'd trust my own eyes a lot more than wishful assurances from a seller. Regarding distance selling, it's great in theory just like the Sales of Goods Act but if a less than honest dealer decides to ignore you then forcing them to take it back can end up being more work and time for than actually going to see the car and dodging a bullet in the first instance. If you are unable or it's impractical to invest the time and distance then maybe it's wiser to buy closer to home.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,192 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

Bought a car without viewing last year I knew what I was looking for, made offers for three same make etc in the few months previous , so I was patient ,got videos , asked alot of questions, warranty etc and all good, problem with the phone charger and covered in a nearby agent no questions asked,car was brought halfway as part of the deal so I have never been in the sales room.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭Sheedy234

Hello,

Why not pay a local mechanic to have a look at it for you.It would be the best money you ever spent .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭sumo12

Unless it's a very specific model / colour you're looking for, why buy it so far away? What happens when something goes wrong? Your local dealer will tell you go back to wherever you bought it. I'd be very wary of buying something you haven't seen - or someone you trust hasn't seen.

It's a no from me...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭ZookeeperDub

I bought one from Cork, video and photos. Sold mine as trade in. More or less truck met me, he was just a delivery driver with nothing to do with garage. It had warranty etc and from main dealer so wasn't concerned.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,365 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I think one of those dealers in Donegal does a lot of advertising on social media and they make the while thing seem hassle free and easy.

Thats the main attraction.

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭yoshiktk

Until something goes wrong and you have to tow a car from Dublin to Donegal. I presume that warranty doesn't cover that.

If its not one of a kind car I wouldn't bother, to much hassle.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,365 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I understand and it's one of the reasons that turn me off it.

I live in North Cork one website allows you calculate delivery it's about €170.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Stephenc66

I think it depends if you are buying from an independent dealer or through a dealer network and if there is any manufactures warranty remaining.

My son bought a used Ford Fiesta St from a Ford dealer up north. He did not travel to see the car bought it based on videos, pictures and service history. Car was sold with one years warranty and delivered free of charge to east Clare. The element for the heated seat stopped working with in the warranty period. A short exchange of emails between the dealer up north and Lyons of Limerick and the repair was made under warranty in Limerick.

My brother had a similar experience with a used Ranger pick up. Car was bought from a dealer in Laois or Kildare I can't quite remember. This time a clutch issue. A short exchange of emails and issue fixed under warranty in Lyons of Limerick.

No hassle or grief in either case

• Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Whatwicklow

My wife bought her 2 series from sligo, after 2 weeks eml came on, locally diogenes as egr cooler, called the garage and got the run around for 2 months,, not covered, excuses, trying to send second hand parts in the post etc.. I wouldn't recommend it or do it again, just a pain if something goes wrong. End up just bit the bullet and gave the car to bmw.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Whocare

would only dream of doing it if I was buying off main dealer

• Registered Users Posts: 4,321 ✭✭✭goochy

if cat was recent enough and dealer was well known wouldnt mind doing it - you wouldnt want to be buying a 10 year old car.

i am amazed at how people nowadays will travel all over the country to buy used cars

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭ZookeeperDub

Im in the mood for a change and actually back to the same dealer. He is offering the best trade in and considering doing the same as last time. He will just ship up to me on a truck. Have videos etc and car will come with a 12 month warranty so thats better than any test drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭Buffman

I've did it a few times with GB stuff before Brexit ruined things. They always had either a comprehensive AA or Auction report which are very detailed, even down to what I would consider insignificant stuff like tiny scratches.

Personally, if it was anywhere in Ireland, I'd prefer to stand in front of it if possible, or at least have someone independent and competent view on my behalf.

The plus side of remote buying is you have the extra rights as mentioned above.

FYI, if you move to a 'smart' meter electricity plan, you CAN'T move back to a non-smart plan.

You don't have to take a 'smart' meter if you don't want one, opt-out is available.

Buy drinks in 3L or bigger plastic bottles or glass bottles to avoid the DRS fee.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭sligopaul

• Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭Comhrá

I wouldn't even accept a brand new car from a main dealer without a thorough visual inspection beforehand.

Imagine the grief if your brand new car is delivered to your house with a door ding, a mysterious bumper scuff

or some other blemish no-one has noticed at pre delivery check? Irate phone-call to dealer, "It was perfect when we dispatched it" No-one accepting blame.

Like car rentals, if you don't spot the damage before accepting a car, then you have an uphill battle to prove it wasn't you who caused it.

Advertisement