Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Free Sports Podcasts

Options
  • 09-08-2023 10:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,813 ✭✭✭

With Off the Ball moving to a paywall model for their podcasts and many people feeling the pinch with the rising cost of living I thought I'd start a thread of free podcasts that are of interest to Irish sports fans and we can discuss what podcasts you are listening to and what you recommend

Here are some to get started.

General

• Second Captains (Monday podcasts free, rest behind paywall)

GAA

• The GAA Social

• The GAA Hour

• RTE GAA

• The Throw in

Rugby

• The Left Wing

• House of Rugby

Football

• LOI Central

• The Rest is Football

• Football Weekly

• The Totally Football Show with James Richardson

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,347 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

The Athletic have club specific (soccer) pods available. Also a decent weekly premier league preview show, although it's very betting oriented.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,948 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭Dr Karl

Free sports podcasts from the UK

The Times Football

The Guardian

The Times Rugby

Ironically The Times and Guardian football podcasts are also available on Goloud for free.

Post edited by Dr Karl on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭YabaDabaDooley

PLZ Football Podcast - all things Scottish football for anyone interested.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

Podcast focused on the Irish football team.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭Higgins5473

Thought you could add one to the GAA, it’s a Kerry based football pod and only listened to one after the AI final on the recommendation of a Kerry man. Was expecting heavily bias moanfest but found it to be very balanced and insightful with the contributors to be very knowledgeable and it was great to hear the insider Kerry stuff you wouldn’t get in the mainstream. Terrace talk.

https://podcasts.apple.com/ie/podcast/terrace-talk/id577376805?i=1000623050140

• Registered Users Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭Higgins5473

By the way, great idea. Bookmarking this one, much appreciated. 👍🏻🙌🏻

Yes think i saw the live version on Youtube. It was a Kerry podcast anyway nearly sure it was Terrace Talk. A host and three guests. First time i ever listened to it a few days after the All Ireland to get the Kerry view. Listened to the first 45 mins or so and thought it was very fair and balanced. I only listened to it because we played them though i wouldn't be tuning into it otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,696 ✭✭✭kksaints

Between the Stripes is another LOI podcast. Slight Longford bias but generally covers the entire league. There's also the RTE soccer podcast which covers LOI, Ireland national teams and some but not a huge amount of English football.

• Advertisement

Some podcasts of individual clubs

Liverpool - Anfield Wrap & Blood Red

Man U - United We Stand with Andy Mitten

Spurs - The View From The Lane with Danny Kelly

Arsenal - Arseblog

Celtic - A Celtic State of Mind

• Registered Users Posts: 3,557 ✭✭✭snotboogie

Molecast do a very good Irish focused rugby podcast. They refreshingly seem to have no interest in monitization.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,774 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Is suddenly going behind a paywall an Irish thing ?

A few podcasts I listen to from the UK/US are still on Spotify with no mention of going behind a paywall

• Registered Users Posts: 4,813 ✭✭✭deisedude

US and UK are obviously way bigger markets so bigger opportunities with advertising.

At the end of the day most content makers will just go the route that brings them the best return

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭djemba djemba

A general sports podcast Sport unlocked.

And one about football finance, The price of Football

• Registered Users Posts: 1,791 ✭✭✭Patsy167

I used to like sports unlocked but it is so damn negative and pessimistic that I've got fed up of it. They are always finding issues and problems and not highlighting the good parts of a story. They could at least edit the podcast properly too.

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Tomw86

That Peter Crouch Podcast is very good.

Not strictly or wholly 'Sports' based but mainly discussions on different topics/aspects of football with plenty of comic value added in.

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭C4000

For any horse racing fans, Sporting Life racing podcast is pretty decent, Betfair's Weighed In podcast is probably the best around at the moment, the once unmissable Final Furlong has sadly declined after a few unfortunate events/controversies.

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭KanyeSouthEast

Premier view Tipperary GAA podcast

• Registered Users Posts: 4,813 ✭✭✭deisedude

Listened to a few different podcasts over the past week to get my sports fix

A few thoughts

House of Football - Soccer podcast from SportJoe. Might give it one more episode as missing a soccer podcast with Irish perspective. Eric Lalor was host and Alan Cawley and Stephen Hunt were guests. Couldn't decide which of the 3 was more annoying

Guardian Football Weekly - Found this very good. A lot of the regular contributors from Secind Captains and Off the Ball are on it. Will definitely keep listening to this

The Rest is Football - New podcast with MOTD Top 10 gang of Linekar, Shearer and Micah Richards. Found their insights bland enough but I do like their funny stories from their own playing days. If you like MOTD Top 10 you will enjoy, if not steer clear

LOI Central - been listening to this for years anyway but wanted to highlight to anyone with a passing interest in League of Ireland or future of Irish football as it is an excellent pod. Regular OTB contributors Dan McDonnell and Johnny Ward host

The Left Wing - Irish Indos rugby pod. Found this very good. OTBs rugby coverage was very good and found this a good replacement

The Irish Examiner Gaelic Football Show - obviously intercounty season is over so not too pushed on finding a GAA podcast yet but was surprised to see this in my feed. As thought the Examiner GAA pods had gone behind a paywall

Game On - podcast equivalent of microwaved dinner from 2 nights ago. Avoid

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭TheScoringGoal

What happened the final furlong? It fell apart when Blake left and there seems to have been some thinly veiled digs between them since?

I haven't listened to it in for a year or two now as it descended into far too much nonsense. Though I've yet to find a podcast that covers Irish racing as thoroughly.

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭C4000

It was never admitted publicly but there were suggestions of dubious listnership figures. At The Races pulled out resulting in him losing most of his better pundits. Betfair also pulled sponsorship.

He's had a sucession of sponsors since, but it became almost unlistenable at times with the number of constant references to whoever the current sponsor was. It went completely off the rails at one stage with episodes lasting 3 or 4 hours, much of which was taken up with nonsensical rants.

Rory Delargy stuck with it for a long time and was the last reason to listen to any of it, but he eventually went as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 welloso

nice info

Football ramble is my favorite soccer podcast. The chemistry between the presenters is brilliant.

The Times have managed to destroy "The game" soccer podcast since it came back for the premier League season. They've lost Hugh Woozencroft and added Martin Samuel who is barely listenable. They record it in studio too and the audio quality is poor.

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭bamayang

Anyone come across any good sports coaching discussion podcasts?

Maybe a topic that might be better covered by audio books.

Advertisement