Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sailing gear question

Options
  • 08-08-2023 8:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭

I'm starting to get back into sailing, mostly on lough ree. A mix of dinghy and 24ft . Not racing just leasure with young daughter. Am looking to get some half decent wet weather gear. Realistically something mid range . HH and Musto seem to be the top end and I probably don't do enough to justify the cost so what next best and best place to source, ideally locally as I plan to get out next weekend all going well. Thanks in advance

Best Answer

• Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭rje66

Thanks all. Hit decathlon this evening on your advice and got the Tribord 500 jacket. Feel and looks decent quality , bring on the rain.....

Answers

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,902 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

There is a Musto outlet in Kildare Village…

about 5 years ago I got a BR1 jacket & BR2 sallopettes for something like €170 all in…… which would be the guts of €400 maybe in a chandlers….

I was down there a few weeks ago and I always check out what stock they have and they did have a fair bit of wet weather gear in store..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭rje66

Cheers, will have a look. Ta

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Try Decathlon. https://www.decathlon.ie/3151-sailing# They do relatively decent sailing gear. Very reasonably priced.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,811 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

I'd second Decathlon - well worth a trip IMO.

Musto in Kildare village is very much a lottery with what gear they have in, and what sizes (usually XXXL men's in my experience!)

I think HH had a sale on recently, you might find some bargains still on their website - their online service is fantastic, delivery really quick and hassle-free returns.

If you can stick it out another month or two, you should pick up some end-of-season bargains in chandlers if you have the time and patience to shop around.

Advertisement