Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mid 50s - Next Steps

Options
  • 08-08-2023 7:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 951 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I'm looking for advice for a friend of mine. He has been out of the workforce for the last 10 years as he has taken on carer duties for his elderly parents. Both have now passed away. He used to work in a number of factories prior to that and although he has no formal qualifications he has a strong work ethic. So, I suppose he's looking for advice on retraining for work that has good employment potential. He is based in the Midlands.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Training for good work potential at mid 50's? You do know it takes a few years to train for something. By the time he is finished a few short years later he will be retiring or worse case isn't able to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭gauchesnell

jesus christ cop on. People retrain all the time regardless of age

• Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭gipi

He should contact the employment support officer via the local intreo office.

They can offer guidance on what's available.

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭gauchesnell

what is he interested in doing and that would advise what training is needed. Dont mind other poster. This a good website https://www.gov.ie/en/campaigns/f205a-the-right-course/ as a start

• Registered Users Posts: 12,412 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Forklift driving training, min bus driving, loads of opportunities with local links and the like or get a taxi license, part-time school caretaking or cleaning, get a qualification in care work loads of work available in-home care.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,810 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Cop on yourself.

Sure they train. But very few actually get hired in their late 50s.

Ant training he does now needs to be very short.

OP, could intreo help your friend do short courses to qualify for home-care work? Men are usually in demand, and it would build on his recent experiences.

• Registered Users Posts: 951 ✭✭✭Neames

Thanks folks,

Plenty of good advice here and I appreciate all comments. My friend is very much aware that age may be an issue for him and he wants to be practical. There's lots for him to explore here and I'll pass on these suggestions to him.

Thanks to all of you for taking the time to comment.

Neames

• Registered Users Posts: 11,782 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

A lot of places will have preference for a younger people. But there are places who want someone with experience and maturity. Especially to fit in with existing staff or customers. That is reliable and dependable. Also many people will have had to care for family, parents or kids. They will have empathy for that situation and people returning to the workforce.

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭iniscealtra

@Neames Where I work have hired a caretaker in his fifties. He is excellent and has experience with practical things. He can fix stuff, is flexible workwise due to his experience and has a great work ethic. Management are delighted with him as are the staff. As said reliability, experience, work ethic and positive attitude are really important.

Good luck to your friend. Work ethic is hugely important.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Harryhol

Some negative comments here. I really hope it's never too late to learn a new skill or retrain! I know of several men in their fifties and sixties working in jobs after years of doing other things. Two men I know went back to work after retirement in completely different areas receiving training on the job. It may not be easy but it is possible. Good luck to your friend, after looking after his parents he deserves to be looked after now and hopefully finds a job he is happy doing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭pat_sconce

Glenveagh homes are planning a massive timber frame manufacturing facility at junction 13 of the M7.

It is estimated that over 600 positions will be created of all skill levels.

So if he's south Midlands, this could be an opportunity to keep in mind.

They have another smaller facility at the old Braun factory in Carlow, so a quick internet search will probably show what jobs will be on offer.

Mid 50's is not a barrier - life experience can be as important a factor as any other.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Xander10

Age shouldn't be a barrier. It's still by and large an employee's market. Look for something that provides training on the job instead of spending a couple of years doing courses if possible. Really a case of applying for loads and get on job websites.

Best of luck to him

• Registered Users Posts: 13,114 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

There seems to be a few adverts around for D licence drivers.

He might get a bus route but he'd have the summer off.

I echo previous poster about caretaker, schools are advertising around this time.

I don't think you'd need qualifications per se but life experience and a demonstration of practical skills.

Get him to get his Safe Pass up to date as a starting point. And maybe manual handling.

If he worked on production lines in past, would he not just slot back in there again and train on the job?

Fair play to him caring for parents.

To thine own self be true

Advertisement