Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What % of Irish Rail seats can be prebooked?

Options
  • 08-08-2023 9:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭

I'm just wondering what percentage of Irish rail tickets can be pre-booked?

I notice on a service I use that the internet tickets are regularly booked out but the train isn't full.

I have a three hour journey coming up where the time I want to travel is booked out. What happens if I travel on that service with a flexible ticket? Do I get fined?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,332 ✭✭✭Citizen  Six

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭ExoPolitic

Sadly you pay for the privilege to be on the train, not necessarily a seat...

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭Jambonjunior

I don't really mind not getting a seat.

I just don't want to be fined for being on the wrong service 🙂

• Registered Users Posts: 10,682 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

It varies but around 80% for most but its as low as 65%. Online service capacity sold out and lightly loaded trains is an issue because there is no enforcment of the reservation systems. There is also less online availablity since covid despite the free seat for FTP holders starting. It used to be 80-90% before covid.

Then you have bank hoildays where they add additional capacity but can't be bothered to release that online.

Advertisement