Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fibre Roll out disaster

Options
  • 07-08-2023 10:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭

Hey folks

Fibre broadband roll out question.

Looking to try and figure out my options, I am thinking I don't have any but maybe someone had a similar issue.

I live in a small estate in a town where fibre broadband has been rolled out. There is also a cabinet system in the town from a number or years ago. Some have access some dont to this but most do.

Fibre has been rolled out and even houses that were on the cabinet system have gotten upgraded.

Anyway. In my estate Fibre was rolled out to only one side of my road. 5 houses each side. 5 houses opposite me all got the Fibre roll out and now their 1gb up and running. So my neighbour right across the road from (10m) away has it.

To make it worse for some reason they installed it in one house on my side. So my next door neighbour has it. Right next door. I was here in the house when the engineers were here rolling it out. Its all underground cabling here. Took them 30mins.

So I contacted NBI and was referred to the Department of Communications who basically said well sorry about that but you won't be getting fibre as we forgot to include some houses in our initial planning etc. That's is no recourse.

It seems mad and is a real example of what a mess the NBI roll out has been.

I am going to put in an FOI to find out more about the planning and also making local TDs aware. But I suspect this will be of little use.

Anyone have a similar issue and is there any chance of getting fibre connected at all for me? I currently have a cabinet connection and get 30mb and have SKY as provider so its not too bad but my neighbours getting 1gb is a bit annoying considering my partner and I wfh.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,372 ✭✭✭StevenToast

I have less than 5mb and mainly just use hotspot from my phone to get by......

I am jealous of you and your 30mb...

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Sammy96

Sorry to hear that. Hope you get fibre soon.

I guess that's not really the point here though. Considering the way the NBI roll out has gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭Whatwicklow

Your ire is misdirected at nbi, they have zero pick or choose in the homes they connect. It's mandated by the intervention area. (areas identified as not having 30meg bb available from commercial operator's)

It would be totally illegal for NBI to use state aid money to build a home outside the intervention area.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,661 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

I started building a new house in August 2021 and moved in in December 2022. Around the time we moved in, work had commenced on the NBI rollout on our road however as our house wasn't built when the initial planning was done, we were not included in the intervention area. A rep from Vodafone happened to knock on the door in March and it was him that explained this to me and told me I needed to contact NBI directly. I did that and the chap I spoke to raised a requisition ticket to get us ready for install. It took a few follow up calls from me but last week a telegraph pole was put in and the engineers are coming on Monday morning to install the fiber. Id try calling NBI again, maybe you just got a crappy agent but I must say, the couple of different people I spoke to couldn't have been more helpful.

Well someone is telling fibs as my neighbours who got upgraded to 1gb all had connections to the fibre cabinet system and were getting minimum 50mb.

From my correspondence with NBI they even admitted mistakes could have been made. Its either them or the Department of Communications

• Advertisement

Put your eire code into this map.

Either you are in or out, simple as that

Thanks. It's amazing how crap the NBI state funded roll out has been.

So many errors and random selection of houses.

Surely when engineers are on site installing and see some stupid pre planning done the can report it.

Don't expect much else from a state backed system though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭eggy81

Any sign of siro in your area

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭dam099

Unfortunately if you have 30mpbs if an error was made it was including any neighbours who had 50mbps in the rollout as they shouldn't have been eligible.

The project is ahead of schedule so I am unsure on your reference to crap...

Is your eirecode in or out of the NBP (check the map)

• Advertisement

Just because something is ahead of schedule doesn't mean its being rolled out with accuracy.

For example my parents roll out in their town has been a disaster. Random missing houses. Some apartments in some blocks not connected etc.

In my case the fact that neighbours were connected in error is a real concern and maybe suggests NBI getting paid to connect houses that didn't need it.

My eircode is flagged blue. House next door yellow and house after that blue. All built same time.

Was a guy doing a survey a couple of weeks back. I told him about the NBI roll out and he wasn't surprised at all.

It simply is that your not in the intervention area, the nature of it is patchy (see snip) so your measure of random missing houses holds no water.

While a cable must pass these polka dot areas only the yellow eirecode will be able to buy a connection.

It may be frustrating but your issue is not with nbi, it's with the department who created the intervention area map.

Fair enough let's blame the Department then. Either the way the state backed fibre roll out has been full off holes

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭RobiePAX

"I currently have a cabinet connection and get 30mb"

This sentence alone makes you not eligible for NBI. Your neighbors could have been connected in error. Or they are further down from cabinet which dropped their speeds under 30mb which qualified them.

Even if they were connected in error you can't use that as an argument to get NBI connect you too when you know you don't meet the criteria.

Your only hope for a higher speeds is waiting for OpenEir FTTH, SIRO or Virgin to rollout. Otherwise a 5G MBB.

I though you we looking for advice? your initial complaint was about NBI, I pointed you to the correct group, ie someone who can do something about it. Lobby the department. Factually, let them know the limits on the services available to you and with some luck you may get added to the IA and I am sure NBI will gladly connect you.

Saying its crap or full holes is merely your opinion which is contrary to the factual position of the NBP.

Over and out.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭ClaudeVercetti

I know this isn't fibre but do you get decent mobile coverage? I rented a house in a rural town last year that got missed off by NBI, I used this tool

https://coveragemap.comreg.ie/map

And based on this went with a 4G modem with Eir - regularly got 200mb download speed based on speed tests and average was about 80-100.

I moved to an area with FTTD but still using this device that I was able to just pack in a bag and bring with me. I know some folks who've just bought the 5G modems and gotten a 5G SIM only plan and used that meaning they're paying about 20 quid a month (after the initial investment of the modems, which aren't cheap to be fair)

Just wanted to throw this in as it might be easier as a stopgap than going through the bureaucracy of getting it rectified otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭dam099

The Department had to design a scheme that would pass EU state aid rules, as the EU's target for broadband at that point they were seeking this was 30mb this was used as the cut off. For those who fall below that (actual or planned by an existing provider) and were missed in error they can go to the department to be added.

Advertisement