Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Epiphany of the Sony PS 1

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,118 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

PS1 was the first official console bought in our house (I don't include the Gameboy I essentially stole from American relatives when they visited, or the Commodore 64 I got a loan of). I've always been a PS1 guy at heart. I have a vague recollection of buying it with Resident Evil 1 but without a memory card. After a few playthroughs of a few hours each (ending in permadeath), I believe it was swapped for Micro Machines V3.

Had (and likely still have) all the Official PlayStation Magazines (OPM!) and demo discs, they were a monthly highlight. As mentioned, I got a stupid amount of play from the MGS demo and subsequently purchased it. So many games seared themselves into my memory and I have a very solid collection of PS1 games that I keep telling myself I'll get to when I retire in about 25 years. In the truest sense of the word love, I love the Sony PlayStation.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,321 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Saw two of them running Ridge Racer and Tekken in an bowling alley/arcade where you could play an hour for a tenner. Ridge Racer in particular really blew my mind away because there was an RR arcade machine beside it and I (at the time) couldn't tell the difference between that and what the Playstation was running.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭Eoinbmw

So many groundbreaking games Days lost on FF ,metal gear, gran turismo but my biggest memory was having the shite extracted out of me playing res evil in the dark!

• Registered Users Posts: 34,430 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Hah, yeah I was the same, but with Silent Hill.

There was a free demo of it with Metal Gear Solid, thought it was amazing. Saved up for it and bought it the day it was released. Used to turn off all the lights, close the curtains and play it on my little 14 inch Telefunken CRT in the dark. The radio interference sound as monsters got closer to you scared the absolute bejasus out of me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭Breezy_

• Advertisement

Anyone ever have the dj music mixer can't remember exactly the name but you could build a pretty decent trance track on it with some practice!

Used to think I was Tiesto above in my bedroom!

• Registered Users Posts: 34,430 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Might have just been 'Music'? that was incredibly popular back in the day.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,811 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

The MTV one I heard was even better. I think harmonics had a hand in it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Einhander.

Raiden Project / Dx

Rage Racer

Tobol No1

Need for Speed Road Challenge

So many great games!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,180 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

I'm pretty sure I was at that since I sold PlayStation's from launch when I worked in Harry Moores in the mid 90s . We played a lot of after hours Tekken/Tekken 2/ Soul Blade .Got to bring home a Playstation over the Christmas break as 'research'. If you bought a PS1 in Tallaght in the January Sales 1996 its quite possible I was playing the bejaysus out of it the week prior . ( we were really really good at reboxing and resealing back then.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,180 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

He (she?) actually made a comeback in the PS5 game Astro's Playroom!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,215 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

Advertisement