Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Salary disclosure.

Options
  • 06-08-2023 9:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭

Hi legal experts,

What is the legal situation with discussing/ disclosing your salary/benefits with your colleagues and vice versa?

Many people here now are employed by US multi nationals who frown upon their employees discussing their remuneration, bonuses etc.,

Thinking about this from when the CFO at Rte when asked what his salary was at the recent PAC inquiry into payments to Ryan Tubridy, seemed firstly to have a "how dare you ask that question" before realising that his salary was publicly funded and therefore was not "confidential".

Companies seem to have a threat of disciplinary action against employees discussing this topic but what is the legal rights of said employees?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31,974 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

I don't think a company can tell you not to discuss your salary with colleagues.

• Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭northknife

I get that, but are they then wrong to threaten you with disciplinary action and what are your legal rights and also theirs?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,719 ✭✭✭growleaves

Old thread on this here:

Comment:

"If there's a code of conduct booklet, it might be mentioned in there. Most companies that I've worked for request that you don't discuss salaries with colleagues.

It's not illegal to do so in terms of Irish laws, but if your code of conduct says don't do it, and your employment contract says "I agree to follow the code of conduct", it could be used as grounds for dismissal along with something else."

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭windowcills

It only causes hassel, told a workmate once i got a 35% pay rise after a promotion, he would occasionally mention it if i complained about the price of petrol or something

• Registered Users Posts: 3,557 ✭✭✭Breezy_

salaries are the same as they were 40 years ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭dennyk

Many people here now are employed by US multi nationals who frown upon their employees discussing their remuneration, bonuses etc.,

The irony is that one of the few employee protections that actually exist in the US is the legal right for all non-management employees to discuss wages and other working conditions among themselves. You are right in that many US employers ignore that law and try to bully their employees into keeping quiet, though, and it often works because people either don't know their rights or are afraid to stand up for them since they can simply be sacked on the spot at any time...

Unfortunately that isn't a legal right here, though; Irish employers can prohibit employees from disclosing their salary or other compensation details to other employees. If that is part of your contract or terms of employment, it's possible you could be disciplined for talking about your pay, though it would be difficult for them to justify actually dismissing you outright just because you told other employees how much you're making. If it does annoy them, then what's more likely to happen is that you'll end up under a microscope and every tiny thing you do even slightly wrong will be documented and used to justify your eventual PIP and subsequent termination.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,542 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

They can "tell" you, and if they catch you "talking" can find some other reason to get back at ya if they want...

Advertisement