Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Florence for 3 nights recommendations

Options
  • 06-08-2023 8:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭

Visiting Florence mid september intend staying for around 3 nights, myself and wife ( early 60,s) would appreciate any advice on where to stay, restaurants etc, and places to visit during our stay please

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,554 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

I haven't visited there even though I would like to.

I find TripAdvisor generally quite useful as a starting point, to get ideas of what to do, and where to stay. There's also a forum related to each country/ city and itineraries that are quite useful, again, as a starting point.

Or you can put together your own itinerary and ask for feedback on it. I find posters are generally very helpful there.

Best of luck and enjoy it!

https://www.tripadvisor.ie/Attractions-g187895-Activities-Florence_Tuscany.html

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭The Davestator

If you have not been to the leaning tower, it is worth a trip. Its a small area and can be busy, but still an iconic sight. There are lots of tours that go there from Florence.

Florence is very small and you'll have lots of time to do it all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,571 ✭✭✭raheny red

Hop on a fast train to Bologna. Start booking your trains now if you do want to visit other towns/cities. Should get them a good bit cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,141 ✭✭✭✭sammyjo90

I stayed across the bridge in Santo spirito near the pitti Palace, lovely part of the city.

Tameró for dinner, make the fresh pasta at the bar.

Authentic gelato at gelateria artigianialle la sorbettiera

Walk/Climb up (its just a bit of a hill, take your time)piazzale michelangelo for sunset and enjoy a drink from a vendor and bring a little picnic from the supermarket.

Uffuzi is a must if you want to see the progression of art. I wouldn't really rate the gallery at the pitti but the gardens are lovely

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭munsterfan2

If you are into guided tours / trips have a look at https://citywonders.com/florence-tours We did some of their Rome museum tours and enjoyed the insight ( Borghezzi guide we had was an Art-History PHD from UCD )

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭stoves1

Thanks to all for their advice, is there a particular site i should use to book trains as trip includes flight to rome (stay 2 nights) then train to Florence ( 3nights) then train to Viareggio (5nights) and flight back from Pisa airport depart 10.20am, would appreciate advice ie connections etc

• Registered Users Posts: 12,546 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

3 nights in Florence is a bit OTT in my opinion. Its not a big city. Spend a day/night in Bologna (35-40 minutes by train away) and an extra night in Rome. Or a night in Lucca.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,479 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

We did 2 nights in Bologna and 4 nights in Florence earlier in the year. I'd disagree with those who say 3 nights in Florence is too much and I'm not even particularly a fan of art. Loads to do but the city is very walkable. Bologna had stunning food and was nice but not worth sacrificing time in Florence on a short trip.

Uffizi Gallery is amazing although be prepared for it to be crowded. I enjoyed the Pitti Palace and it's gardens which is across the river in an area called Santa Spirito.

We stayed in this area and I found it was much more laid back and less bustling with tourists. Plenty of good restaurants and places to grab a drink before or after dinner.

Agree 100% that it is worth going up to the Piazza Michalangelo for a sunset with some food and a bottle of wine. That was probably my trip highlight tbh!

Bardini Gardens are also nice but you might have had enough of walking through Gardens by then! Would recommend taking a tour out to the Tuscan countryside for a wine tasting, not something I'd usually do but it was stunning and you were very well looked after.

We didn't have a bad meal there, it felt difficult to eat somewhere that wasn't lovely but Trattoria Zaza was one I remember that was lovely! Would also recommend the sandwiches over there, I didn't go to the ultra popular one because of the queues but had others and they were delicious.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭recyclops

I stayed in a place called San Giuliano inn and would highly recommend it, its not cheap but its a wonderful place to stay, great staff, unlimited access to food and drink ( cofffees, pastries, fruit, procecco beers etc) Rooms are super comfy and central location.

An odd thing to do is opera at St marks English church, its reasonably cheap for what you get and an entertaining evening. They recommended a restaurant to me while over there and I got the nicest pasta dish I have ever eaten the restaurant was called trattoria 4 leoni.

Advertisement