Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to return an item to Amazon containing Li-Ion batteries?

Options
  • 06-08-2023 8:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭

An Post does not accept items containing Li-Ion batteries. Does some courier somewhere?

Tagged:

Best Answer

Answers

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭Carbon125

Thank you, this was an interesting read. In my case the item I want to return is a toy costing just under €40 so I won't bother any further... My time has value. For the record, I tried several times to talk to someone at Amazon on the phone but was always only connected to a bot. In the past, I was able to resolve a few issues over the phone by talking to a human, this seems no longer possible. The bot has very limited ability. When you request to talk to a person, there is just silence at the other end.

Going forward, I will not buy anything from Amazon that is so complex that it could be defective and might need to be returned. I'll stick to bars of soap and the likes...

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Savetheplanet

Maybe chance your arm and either send it back to the Portlaoise address mentioned on the Amazon bargains chat thread or just take a chance and send it without saying it has battery, I opted not to go that way in case the battery went nuclear! I got a full refund for my laptop so just keep on at c/s if you have the will and time.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Send it to the Portlaoise address.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,162 ✭✭✭Ezeoul

I had to return an item with a Li-ion battery just recently. The post office refused to accept it and explained why. Their advice was to get back on to Amazon and request a mailing label for the Portlaoise address, rather than the UK one.

I did this, and explained that An Post refused the item, but instead of sending me a label for Portlaoise they just refunded me there and then and told me to keep the item..

Update on this post from this morning! Coincidentally, I received an Amazon delivery this afternoon which contains a cordless home phone (with rechargeable batteries). The phone I ordered was new and the one I received was definitely not - most likely a return that was used and repackaged.

Anyway, I tried to arrange a return and was only offered the UK shipping address. I got on to customer service and explained that An Post will not accept anything with batteries for return to the UK. They told me to arrange the return by DPD (which quoted more than the cost of the phone!). As I've had problems getting refunds for return postage from Amazon in the past I said I wasn't willing to do this.

I asked for a return postage label for the Amazon Portlaoise address the customer service agent did not appear to know it existed. They went off for about ten minutes, obviously looking into it.

In the end they came back to the chat and agreed to a "one-off exception" and refunded me for the phone and told me to keep it.

By the way, if you have issues getting through to speak to someone, just keep clicking "I need more help" or wait for the automated assistant to ask "did I solve your problem?" and press "no, I need more help", and you will be offered the option of a return phone call or online chat with an associate.

• Advertisement

Let me quote myself:

"For the record, I tried several times to talk to someone at Amazon on the phone but was always only connected to a bot. In the past, I was able to resolve a few issues over the phone by talking to a human, this seems no longer possible. The bot has very limited ability. When you request to talk to a person, there is just silence at the other end."

When I say that I was connected to a bot I mean that I was talking to a bot/AI on the phone. I was not typing.

This happened repeatedly. I then googled an Amazon UK phone number and the result was the same. It was not possible to talk to a human!!

Maybe try what I suggested online then, as it is most definitely still possible to speak to a human on the phone.

They call you back within minutes.

Or maybe the info will be useful to someone else who is willing to try it, instead of just shooting it down.

Post edited by Ezeoul on

I am familiar with that button, thank you. I have used it.

Advertisement