Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rural Wexford transport

Options
  • 06-08-2023 5:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Some towns and villages like kilmuckrige only have three buses per week in this day and age, so much for the green providing public transport to all

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭brianc89

I think you mis-named your Greens bashing post.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭Citrus_8

Does the initiative have a local residents' support? I thought that most are living in rural places as they don't need services and love living in a wild nature and isolated from the civilisation. Otherwise, can move closer to the big towns or cities. Serving small town is expensive, inefficient and currently not easily done due to driver shortage. Have this been raise with local politicians? What did they say?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 68,048 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Locallink is still being rolled out across the country, it take time to get the operators (and buses) lined up.

Most places that have locallink services have 3-5 services a day rather than the 1-3 a week they had before.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,591 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

If you had bothered to actually do some research, you'd realise that the Connecting Ireland project is a five year project rolling out new or improved services across the country.

The scale of the project is such that it is inevitably going to take time to deliver it between recruiting sufficient staff and purchasing new vehicles.

The Wexford to Gorey route 379 via Kilmuckridge is one that is going to be enhanced to a minimum of 3 return services each day, but this will be sometime between 2024 and 2026. There is also another service, route 380, planned from Wexford to Gorey via Oulart and Ballycanew which will have a similar frequency.

In Wexford there are already improved services under the Local Link banner:

• Route 368 Enniscorthy-New Ross (5 return services)
    • Route 369 Enniscorthy-Bunclody (6 return services, 3 extended to Tullow)
    • Route 384 Enniscorthy-Wexford (5 return services)
    • Route 387 Wexford-Rosslare Harbour (14 return services)
    • Route 388 Wexford-Duncormick (10 return services)
    • Route 399 New Ross-Hook Head (To launch next week with 4 return services)

That's a vast improvement over what was there before.

Sure it takes time to deliver, but the project is delivering real improvements in rural public transport.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭purplepanda

Plus the Wexford local Bus Éireann routes.

Dublin - Bunclody

Waterford - New Ross - Duncannon - Wexford

New Ross - Foulksmills - Adamstown - Wexford

New Ross - Foulksmills - Wellington Bridge - Wexford

New Ross - Fethard-on-Sea - Wellington Bridge - Wexford

New Ross - Inistioge - Kilkenny

New Ross - Kiltealy - Enniscorthy

Wexford - Enniscorthy

Wexford - Churchtown

Wexford - Curracloe - Kilmuckridge - Gorey

Wexford - Crossabeg

Wexford - Blackhall

Wexford - Adamstown - Wexford

Wexford - Rosslare Strand - Rosslare Europort

Hopefully all local route information & timetable information will be available soon on the TFI journey planner. (I've not checked during last few weeks)

https://www.transportforireland.ie/plan-a-journey/

• Advertisement

To be fair - they’ve been there all along and haven’t changed, with many of those only being once or twice a week.

You need to focus on what Connecting Ireland is delivering.

I've only used the south Wexford local BE services recently.

I only just noticed the Kilmuckridge route is once a day, Gorey to Castlebridge, I'm not sure why it doesn't continue to Wexford Town. Maybe there is an onwards connection?

Anyway credit is due to Local Link for introducing more routes. I think the Hook Head & Duncormick services will do well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭Citrus_8

It is the NTA who introduced the routes. Local Link is just an umbrella brand under which the operators work under the contract with the NTA.

Apologies for distracting the thread, I was wondering if the Wexford Bus 390 service to Kilmore Quay, 340 Waterford to Wexford, 877 Castlebridge Loop & their WX1 / WX2 routes around Wexford Town are connected to Locallink,

I'm assuming these services are also subsidised by the NTA.

No they are private commercially operated bus services.

• Advertisement
Advertisement