Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Move from VM to SIRO

Options
  • 04-08-2023 9:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭

Given the prices etc with vm I’ve decided to move to a SIRO service.

n my estate Virgin laid ducting under lawns on construction to connect their cables to homes. Easy and clean.

the SIRO looks messy. A wire from the esb meter to a new box on the house wall. A wire from that box to inside the house. All that is very messy. Is there any other way of getting SIRO signal indoors without outdoor hardware? It should be possible to fish a cable from the meter box into the house????? Maybe.

is there any advantage in n having sky bb for bb and Tvv

thabks in advance folks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭LimerickGray

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 5,394 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nowso

it will be a better system - siro may have been installed underground already in the area .

skys internet set up is not the best but the siro would be better than cable - sometimes its better to stay with what you have thats working but if its an easy switch maybe

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭LimerickGray

Looking around my housing estate. Loads of houses have Vodafone or sky but yet all seem to have wires and boxes on external walls.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,009 ✭✭✭Glaceon

That's how it was done in my estate too. VM was installed using one of the access panels on the side of the house and fed into the utility room where everything was nice and clean. SIRO not so much. They couldn't go into the utility room and could only feed it through that side wall where the meter box is. The ONT is on my kitchen wall and then I'm using one of the internal Cat 6 cables to feed it into the utility room. The connection is working great but I wasn't too happy with the installation. If I could move the ONT myself I would.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,464 ✭✭✭micks_address

can you choose where the ONT goes? I have battery story with a UPS socket at the back corner of the house where my broadband / wifi modem/router are located - can you get SIRO rooted across the attic and down to the back of the house to a location where you want it? id like to run the ONT (assume it needs power?) and the modem from my UPS socket so id have internet in a power outage

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,291 ✭✭✭dunworth1

no they generally enter the house at the closest point

could you ask/get your own electrician to move the cabling/ont?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,291 ✭✭✭dunworth1

you could ask but they are only contract to the closest point, you might get lucky depending

most people run a cat6 cable to wherever they want the router located which is what a electrician will be able to do you'll still have the ont at the point they installed

its unlikly the eletricion will know how to splice fibre and you might run into issues with support from them afterwards

• Registered Users Posts: 2,009 ✭✭✭Glaceon

They will only install the ONT beside or near an electrical socket.

• Advertisement
Advertisement