Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dangerous tree...or not?

Options
  • 04-08-2023 12:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭

We have this tree on the green in our cul-de-sac. It's some sort of maple - totally unsuitable for where it is but part of a mix of species planted at the time.

The trees were planted by the builder 25 years ago and these were planted too closely together causing this one to lean significantly.

I've reported to the Council and they have said that they don't consider it to be dangerous. If it falls it will hit garden walls and vehicles and possibly the front of a house.

Are there any recommended criteria that would be used to determine it's viability?

I suspect he council just couldn't be bothered as removing it will be expensive and I would hope to get back to them with some irrefutable evidence.

It's 12 to 14 meters high with a circumference 1 meter from the base of the tree of 1.6 metres.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭JamBur

I would agree that it doesnt look dangerous. It looks well rooted.

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭raspberrypi67

Well apart from my own personal opinion not to cut down trees if you can avoid. On the contrary , we should be planting more.

I certainly dont think this should be cut down. I think perhaps it might be a good idea to cut that branch off on the left. That would be it.

Surely its a residents matter too is it not?. I would have thought its fairly safe in the sense that its pretty much got good shelter from the surrounding trees.... It looks pretty strong IMO....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭Rosahane

My suggestion to the council was that they should remove those branches. I don't think it should be completely removed.

However the lean is increasing yearly as it grows. It has a big canopy which is higher than it's neighbours) and my concern is that one of the late summer storms from the southwest (it's facing NE) will be too much for the roots.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,619 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

I suspect he council just couldn't be bothered as removing it will be expensive and I would hope to get back to them with some irrefutable evidence

you're not going to get that asking on a discussion forum. you'd need to ask a professional tree surgeon, and even then why would the council take their word?

also worth mentioning that often when the storms hit, the wind isn't coming from the SW even if that's the direction the storms had come from. on the east coast, the winds during the storms often come from the north, south, or east as winds blowing over land usually are weaker.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,518 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

There's nothing risky about that tree. I have similar in the garden. It's perfectly sound.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,409 ✭✭✭standardg60

What's most likely happened here OP is that tree wasn't staked securely when planted so it bent with the prevailing wind. What happens then is the tree actually extends it's roots further to the windward side to anchor itself, and by doing this it gets a head start on the other trees which explains why it's growing better. The straighter ones would be more likely to blow over.

It's perfectly fine, worry about something else.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

As an ex tree surgeon I can say if that tree did come down it wouldn't do much if any damage. There are some poorly formed branch joints that have included bark which means they aren't that strong so much more chance that one or two of the larger branches will rip off long before the tree ever falls down. That said I don't see any branches that actually need removing.

It would be a bad idea to take any one of those trees down as it would affect the stability of the others.

Wake me up when it's all over.

It’s at least 12 metres high. Out of screen on the photo is a house directly across from it with two cars in the drive who’s front door is 12 metres from then base of the tree!

Otherwise I agree with you.

Thanks for your help everybody.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,409 ✭✭✭standardg60

Agreed it's not the best shaped tree i've ever seen but we're not talking forked trunk or anything that bad. Left most branch could come off to improve shape but it's carrying very little weight so imo zero issue.

• Advertisement
Advertisement