Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

What unkel got next

Options
  • 03-08-2023 7:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 64,974 ✭✭✭✭

What have I done? 😮

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭McHardcore

Thats class! A little fixer upper.

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭munsterfan2

Sinclair C5 ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭...Ghost...

You've gone mad.

Stay Free

• Registered Users Posts: 64,974 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Electro motors never die. Particularly the ones made in Italy 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 10,944 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

At first I thought that brown mark on the seat was from the previous owner sh!tting themselves 😳

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,944 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

I dunno about that, I've managed to murder 4 motors across 3 Zanussi appliances so far 😂

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭...Ghost...

This site may be needed

https://www.for-sale.ie/sinclair-c5

Stay Free

Wiring looks poor in places, you should see the battery crocodile clips, turning to powder in my hands 😂

I doubt any of it is useful or the controller. So I decided to bypass everything except the motor. I'm currently shopping for a few parts. I will make it a 36V system (original was 12V with a small car lead acid battery adding 50% of weight to the C5!) for a bit more oomph and because the parts are easy to get and cheap. Brushed eScooter controller (1000W, original was 250W), some hoverboard lithium batteries, throttle, etc.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,138 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I'm confused, do your legs go over the handlebars?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,543 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Ah jaysis Unkel!

The fun for me is to get it working again. And make it faster and maybe even with better range than it originally had. I can't see myself driving around in it much apart from some initial craic 😂

Sir Clive Sinclair was way ahead of the times with this in 1985 and it became a huge flop - "the worst gadget of all time", the company he setup for this was bankrupt within a year

• Registered Users Posts: 6,817 ✭✭✭Alkers

Is it taxable or insurable here?

It's officially a pedelec. Which means it has the same legal status as a push bike. No need for a helmet, insurance, tax or driving license and no age restrictions.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,170 ✭✭✭highdef

You had my attention with the C5 until you spelled "Licence" as an American would 😄

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭DrPsychia

I reckon we'll see you competing in Formula-E soon enough 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 2,214 ✭✭✭Miscreant

Can you Tesla swap it? Might be able to warp time if you can pull it off 🙂

I was always intrigued by these when I was younger but never saw one in the wild. Curious to see how it turns out.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,759 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Send it in for a trade valuation to Tesla😎

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭Paul Kiernan

OMG, unkel, you've really flipped this time. Hope you got the red flag so the HGV drivers can see you?

LOL not planning to drive this anywhere near any HGVs 😂

Maybe up and down the local road a few times, there is a dedicated cycle path separated from the main road 😂

Then I'll get bored and put it up for sale. I know how these things go for me...

Gave it a wash just now, parts ordered last night. Now the stuff that I hate - sorting the tyres and looking how bad the other mechanical stuff is...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Sabre Man

Where did you get it?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,565 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Good question! Someone with zero post count necro posted on a 9 year old thread about Sinclair C5 on the classic car forum. Where they could sell it, it's in a bad state. I saw the post, sent a PM and we got into contact and I bought it.

Went to my local bike shop - Stagg cycles in Lucan, est 1981. With two of the wheels and tyres. One of the wheels still had a tyre and tube, I filled it with air and it seemed to hold. Experienced bike mechanic in Stagg's told me the tyres were bad and needed replacing and there were fortified tyres now available for eBikes. So fook it, I booked the whole bike in for all the mechanical work next week. They will sort all the tyres, fix the brakes and service the chain drive and pedals. Will cost me for sure but it will save me doing the jobs I hate doing and that I'm not very good at. Will keep you posted!

Advertisement