Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

National Beef Welfare Scheme (NBWS).

Options
123457»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭Fotish

Did anybody get a payment for NBWS yet ?

I haven’t hear anything at all yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭limo_100

Did anyone even get there IBR blood test results?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,740 ✭✭✭893bet

I asked the vet for results and they said “ yeah all clear”.

not a report, not a phone call.

The only record of its completion was the 260 quid bill.

• Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭Sugarbowl

I got a print out from my vet. Nice to be able to see it. Showed the individual marker range for each animal

• Registered Users Posts: 9,209 ✭✭✭tanko

Got IBR results back at last, all negative. €98 for lab fees, €50 for vet taking samples at TB test.

i see IBR testing won’t be continued this year, back to payment for vaccinating for pneumonia along with meal feeding which is a much better idea imo.

• Advertisement

yeah I got mine back also all negative and a 96 euro bill for the lab. Which I thought was included I feel like that scheme cost more than I got 🤣🤣 I’m surprised I was negative as we were led to believe that every herd in the country has ibr ?

I was in two minds whether to do the IBR testing and asked my vet what it would tell me, he said it would tell me that my cattle wouldn’t have it since i had a closed herd, looks like he was right about that.

That's good would be good if they would move on to lepto or the p13 or rsv pneumonia this year but that's not going happen as I read there going to do vax plans which would be good.

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭sonnybill

I did the ibr testing this year, all negative, never vaccinated here, calve outdoors , keep lung’s healthy with dosing and meal feed prior to sale .. not sure I want to go vaccinating as once you start you have to keep at it ?

in scep too might take the hit and leave the vaccination part behind

I had a bad outbreak of Pnuemonia about 15 years ago just after calves were weaned and in the shed, nearly lost a couple, have vaccinated every year since whether paid to do it or not, think it’s well worth doing, prevention is a lot better and cheaper than cure. You don’t have to keep at it afaik. Also vaccinating weanlings is a big help for whoever buys them. If getting paid to vaccinate them i think it’s well worth it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭sonnybill

I appreciate that , bar couple heifers I sell all weanlings but remember lads before paying through the nose to vet to get them done as numbers small/ 2 doses required / live vaccine and auctioneer would hardly announce it for them

• Registered Users Posts: 2,620 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

Only one live vaccine needed. We always get the auctioneer to list vaccines for weanlings and most recent dose for any others being sold too.

Dairy Beef Welfare Scheme launched with €20/calf payment

https://focus.independent.ie/thumbor/Z4ZpTOSV_37fbCMi7J1IPlTioQo=/0x0:3238x2158/960x640/prod-mh-ireland/2d2f0082-9881-4175-b672-1f4dd83f3b96/a495d7f9-3941-4578-b016-539ebde3a2db/2d2f0082-9881-4175-b672-1f4dd83f3b96.jpg There was an error displaying this embed.

Calves feeding on colostrum.

Farming Independent Team

Thu 21 Mar 2024 at 16:41

A new support measure has been introduced for dairy farmers involved in producing calves for beef production, offering a payment rate of €20 per eligible calf up to a maximum of 50 calves per holding.

Named the Dairy Beef Welfare Scheme (DBWS), it has been allocated a budget of €25 million over a span of 4 years and is co-funded by the EU under the CAP Strategic Plan.

The DBWS incentivises farmers to use genotyped and genetically superior beef sires for breeding dairy beef calves, requiring participants to use AI straws or stock bulls with a minimum rating of 3 stars on both the ICBF Dairy Beef Index (DBI) and the beef sub-index of the DBI.

This measure aims to improve the quality, welfare, and viability of male calves from dairy herds by encouraging closer integration of the dairy and beef sectors.

Commenting on the opening of the measure, Minister for Agriculture Charlie McConalogue said both dairy and beef farmers recognise the gains to be made from the greater integration of the beef and dairy herds that this scheme supports.

"There are advantages for both buyers and sellers in a scheme that provides a market outlet for dairy beef calves and an alternative business option for beef farmers. Closer integration will undoubtedly improve the quality, welfare and viability of male calves from dairy herds.”

Applications for the CSP Dairy Beef Welfare Scheme can be lodged through agfood.ie until the closing date of 15th May.

The full terms and conditions of the DBWS are available here.

Is there going to be a similar Scheme for the Beef Farmers ?

Supposed to be, hopefully it’ll be announced soon.

Advertisement