Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ninja air fryer

Options
  • 02-08-2023 12:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭

Curry’s have a great offer at the moment on the large AF451UK model. €245 after €25 recycling voucher (I presume there is no need to recycle)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,236 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Have they fixed the really really bad basket design?

Nope

In real life, doing this with that plate of chips, will empty the chips, plus any oil in the bottom of the pan, plus any crumbs, plus the base plate all onto the plate along with the chips

I have a Ninja Air Fryer. Have it for cooking meat and larger items because they can be taken out of the fryer with a tongs, but with chips, it's an absolute pain. Even just shaking the basket causes the base plate to come loose and you need to be regularly shaking those chips to get them crispy

• Registered Users Posts: 3,847 ✭✭✭ozmo

If there is a problem getting the recycling voucher - its available on Amazon for similar price (231 euros) - maybe they would even price match it?

“Roll it back”

• Registered Users Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Captain Flaps

Have the previous version of this model and it's a beast - we do more cooking in that than in the oven now and have had almost no issues with it.

If you shake the basket upside down the tray might pop out but I regularly open the drawers, give everything a vigorous shake and have no issues. Tray is held in with fairly solid rubber feet, usually needs some encouragement to pop loose so I'd expect this is a design feature they've added.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭leex

Seems to be reduced everywhere. 259eur down from 319 in Euronics.

https://euronics.ie/collections/airfryers/products/ninja-foodi-max-with-meat-probe-af451uk

• Registered Users Posts: 7,751 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

I had the Philips one before updating to the ninja dual basket one as it was just too small for the growing family.

The Philips is much better at cooking the food as it circulates the air better. Everything is much nicer and not as dried out.

I find I've to open the ninja every 5 mins and shake everything and some chips will still come out under cooked.

You do have two baskets but they take half the amount.

If I could go back I'd just buy the biggest Philips one you can get your hands on. Or two of the smaller Philips ones and use them side by side.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,847 ✭✭✭ozmo

Thanks - I have the Tefal - the circular one with the stirer constantly going - its does very nice chips and sausages but it mushes up everything else I put in - strips any bredded coating off chicken etc.

Had considered the Ninja as an upgrade so can cook more things in it - but you have convinced me otherwise - will keep the tefal for a while... its sold out now on amazon where it was cheapest anyway.

“Roll it back”

• Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭mun1

Bought the 451uk version last week in Harvey norman for €259. Really impressed with it. Had the Philips XL before this one which was a bit of a mess TBH

• Registered Users Posts: 7,955 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

You need one of these : https://www.amazon.co.uk/SPARES2GO-Snacking-Basket-compatible-Actifry/dp/B08WHMRY4Q/ref=sr_1_2?crid=1XN07PX2IKKRA&keywords=tefal+actifry+mesh&qid=1691326743&sprefix=tefal+actifry+mesh%2Caps%2C85&sr=8-2

You can do breaded fillets, goujons, rashers etc on them & they're excellent! You never need to turn stuff over on it either. It rotates and it's... just a brilliant addition to having an actifry.

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭audi02

Don't forget on amazon customs are added on at checkout so was probably dearer! I have the Philips xxl at the minute. I also bought a brand new one for back up as we use it every day with the kids but I since got gifted a 9.5l ninja. So now I don't know whether to sell the ninja or the xxl Philips

• Registered Users Posts: 28,674 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Have the larger Philips as well and find it very good, but a bit awkward when trying to do different foods with different time/temp requirements (and I'm lazy!) 😂

Was seriously considering the dual Ninja but not sure after reading this thread. It's a pity Philips don't do a dual version.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭asharkman

Hey, what is the name of the phillips air fryer?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,751 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

The dual baskets is great as most dinners are at least two things. And the ninja can sync times so they all finish cooking at the same time.

I preferred the Philips but still use the ninja every day. Sometimes 2-3 times 😅

• Registered Users Posts: 4,527 ✭✭✭Bleating Lamb

Do these Air Dryers use less electricity than a conventional oven?

Heard they are more efficient.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭cython

It can depend on the use case. There's a lot of information online to be found, not all of it concurring, but the general theme seems to be that they're more efficient for smaller volumes and/or shorter cooks due to having to expend less air to preheat the cooking space, and potentially cooking a bit quicker. However the longer spent cooking, the less the differential seems to become, as ovens may retain heat better (greater thermal mass), and the preheating energy averages out over the duration of the cook.

That said, you'd want to be using it an awful lot to save the price of it in electricity, that's not apt to be a reason to buy one in and of itself, just in case that was your thought process.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,461 ✭✭✭micks_address

anyone with the dual ninja able to get good chips out of it? we used to get on fine with our philips xl but with the ninja its very difficult to get even cooking.. we typically put a small amount in each basket and even then its not great.. we have tried crinkle cut, regular, skinny, sweet potatoe etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭Redlim

I don't have the Ninja but have the Instant Vortex Versa which is very similar. It's great as there's a removable divider in the middle which allows you to either cook separately with the 2 sections, or else all together in one huge open basket.

However, the one thing I'm disappointed about is how it cooks chips. I'm guessing it's the same as the Ninja in that regard. It just doesn't seem to cook them as quick or as evenly as the Philips XL which I think circulates the air far better. Everything else cooks great but the chips need to be in a single layer or else the lower ones will be totally undercooked even after a few shakes. I was expecting to be able to stack the chips high like you can with the Philips.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,924 ✭✭✭dodzy

This, all day long. 2 x Philips XL - side buy side, beats the ninja hands down. I’m sorry I purchased. Nowhere near the speed or ‘even cooking’ ability of the Philips. Held onto one XL as a fall back and it easily gets more use.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,270 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Got the Lidl one for €39. Would recommend it. Even you want a dual one. Buy a second one.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,869 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

• Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭ratracer

Is this good value for the Philips XL?

Deal of the day: Philips Airfryer 3000 Series XL, 6.2L (1.2Kg), 14-in-1 Airfryer, 90% Less fat with Rapid Air Technology, Digital, Recipe app (HD9270/91) https://amzn.eu/d/ajXFbBF

Would it be big enough for a family of 4 ( 2ad, 2teens)?

TIA. 👍

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,028 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

I have both and i mainly use the ninja for snacks such as wraps and toasted sandwiches. Chicken fillet burgers are great from the ninja also, but I am so glad I kept our philips XL one also. The chips are much nicer out of that and also don't take anywhere as long as they do in the ninja

• Registered Users Posts: 961 ✭✭✭mjp

Got the dual ninja last months after last 5 years with philips after using it to death and chips and chicken wings are nothing compared to old philips. My wife thinking it's just me but I'm glad others feel the same about it. Even find the dials difficult at times to adjust the times and temps and bit finicky. Can't beat the old style with two wheels for time and temperature and you control it to your liking

Advertisement