Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Room Temperature Superconductors Created, Replication Confirmed

• 01-08-2023 6:11pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 86,081 ✭✭✭✭

This is huge, like, Nobel prize, lightbulb, invention of electricity huge. There's been a scramble to replicate since the paper went published last week. Room temperature superconductors have been a holy grail in science the same way cold fusion is. In a normal conductor, electrons smash their way down the wire, bumping around atoms, losing energy in the form of heat, etc. in a superconductor, some electron coupling happens, and TLDR, electrons can whiz through the material with virtually no losses. Copper's resistance is closer to an insulator than a superconductor, by many fold. This is a meta-material that is baked from easily accessible elements, too: lead, phosphate, copper, silicon, and oxygen. Lanarkite (Pb₂SO₅) and copper phosphide (Cu₃P) are baked in an oven for 4 days, and you have a cake superconductor material, dubbed LK-99.

Lossless power transmission and power transformation, virtually instant battery charging, faster computers in smaller packages, magnetic-levitation, and yes, even the superconductivity needed for fusion power generation. This will take the world by storm, and we aren't going to be the same again.

Video published before replication but digesting the ramifications:

Make your stonks plays accordingly.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,789 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

It would be seriously world changing if it worked. I'm a wee bit sceptical. This is one instance though where I'd love to be wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Supposedly it was a team from Whuhan China,

Taiwan must be watching

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,798 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Really hoping this can be replicated more and confirmed... but we've been here before with cold fusion etc. But, *really hoping*!!

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭TedBundysDriver

Would be funny if the inventor was a Republican.

Amnesty International’s new investigation shows that Israel imposes a system of oppression and domination against Palestinians across all areas under its control: in Israel and the OPT, and against Palestinian refugees, in order to benefit Jewish Israelis. This amounts to apartheid as prohibited in international law.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭TheRepentent

Doubt the IRA or SF were involved but open to correction.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 86,081 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,634 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Interesting. I've been keeping an eye on this and it seemed that there were shenanigans at play, but if it's been independently replicated than this is suddenly a much more credible discover

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

• Registered Users Posts: 9,854 ✭✭✭buried

Don't worry, the global, multi-national corporations that call the shots will still design it to break down every two years so you have to buy it again and again.

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,979 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I refuse to be impressed by a piece of technology that can't make a cup of tea.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

The research didn't happen in china. China (Huazhong University of Science and Technology ) and the US (at Lawrence Berkeley National Lab) have replicated the results of the Koreans with some colleagues in Virginia, credit as shown:

The Revised Paper

The Original Paper

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,808 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Published paper and peer reviewed needed for credibility. We read too nearly every week, breakthroughs on battery tech. Li-ion still the leader after 30 years. Would be massive if it works. Supergrid then possible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,340 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Good video to explain it, and he kept the jargon as low as possible but still a bit too complicated for me. However, I get the general gist. And if it's legit, if it does what it claims it can do, it's massive. It would be the extra step the EV market needs to really take off/over. It would change medicine, with that videos example of inexpensive MRI machines being a major one. It's the evolution battery technology has been waiting for, which will in turn expand tech evolution in general. Affordable MagLev transport is more realistic. AI will evolve far beyond it's current capabilities, and can bring a literal Jarvis to your phone while simultaneously kicking off Terminators armageddon. It's hyperbole gold if you let it, but at the same time looks very probable.

I hope it's legit, and replications are a good start. Fingers crossed.

Yes, replications need to be confirmed and reviewed, but replication is usually a prime standard of evidence.

Less than a week and 2 replications by the first labs out of the gate, knowing that to replicate it takes a minimum of 4 days you're talking just long enough to go fetch the ingredients and perform the baking, and confirm the results. I will not be shocked to see more replication claims crop up by the end of the week. At this point my only real question is for follow-up research, does LK-99 make a good material for shaping into wire etc. or will it be brittle enough it only ends up in high end or niche application, can it be wafered onto silicon, etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,808 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Yes, hope if this discovery is correct, that it can mature quickly as a technology. Perovskite has been known to be better than silicon in solar panels, but it's taking a good while to move into the commercial realm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,973 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

It would be cool if it could be used similar to the copper traces about 20 years back and would blow the current power envelope and heating issues away meaning denser less energy intensive datacenters.

Both technologies here have the same issue/concern, namely lead, Pb. If the net material is toxic and environmentally hazardous, that will seriously limit its adoption outside of niche application.

At 3 nanometers CPU traces are already getting down to a handful of atoms wide. I'd love to know if this is good news for the 'quantum wire' effect,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 181 ✭✭CrazyEric

Potential-Monke said " It's the evolution battery technology has been waiting for."

It is more than that, because motors will be way more powerful the existing battery tech would suffice. If both battery and motor improve then who knows where it ends.

Yes, motor coil engineering could see all manner of new improvements. Motor heat is a big issue. So is motor torque density. Power generation from turbines becomes significantly more efficient too.

This could pave the way for like, Gundams and ****.

But for now let's just settle for confirmed breakthrough lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭Pintman Paddy Losty

I've watched all the hype about this over on X and I'm not convinced that this is as big a deal people are making out. Sceptical of the replications as well. My bet is this whole thing turns out to be a nothingburger.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,415 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

This is all way over my head. But if you guys are excited then I’m excited too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,199 ✭✭✭timmyntc

Its already been debunked at a conference. Proper procedures were not followed.

It is an effect of diamagnetism not superconduction. A handy alloy to know about with that kind of magnetism, im sure it could have some novel uses cost permitting. Consensus so far is it is not a superconductor.

Post edited by timmyntc on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,199 ✭✭✭timmyntc

Many of recent papers do suggest that even though this material (LK99) likely isnt a superconductor, a path has been identified to find one. So this discovery may lead to actual superconductors being found.

One of the papers supporting the replication of LK99 was nothing more than a computational model that said "could b legit". Doesn't really hold up.

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭Freneys Treasure

If this is legit boards.ie will soon be overrun with condensed matter physicists just like it was with epidemiologists during covid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,340 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Twas too good to be true. But if it even pushes that door open just a little bit, hopefully we'll be able to open it fully soon enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭TedBundysDriver

Amnesty International’s new investigation shows that Israel imposes a system of oppression and domination against Palestinians across all areas under its control: in Israel and the OPT, and against Palestinian refugees, in order to benefit Jewish Israelis. This amounts to apartheid as prohibited in international law.

• Advertisement
Advertisement