Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Conversion. Commercial to Private question

Options
  • 01-08-2023 12:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭

I am just starting to look at buying a van and converting it over the coming year(s). The first thing I can't figure out is how I can purchase a used commercial van and make it private. Aren't commercial vans, at inital sale, sold ex-VAT? Do I need to pay the VAT when changing for private use?

Regarding the insurance. How does this work? If I convert and modify to a camper van will the insurance company's still insure without issue?

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,303 ✭✭✭Shoog

VRT on private vehicles is higher than on commercials so you will need to pay the difference. Then you will be into a much higher tax band for the private van. Make sure you understand all the costs before you begin.

Its better to aim to go straight from a commercial to a camper, there are specific qualifying requirements but the tax is only €105 per year.You will still have to pay the VRT difference at 13% of final value.

All VRT rates they use are totally unrelated to any real world valuations you might have seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭KK4SAM

Regarding the VAT, you pay the VAT on Purchase but if you have a business you can claim the VAT Back for the Business.

Some county's are more stringent in Taxing a Commercial Van you must produce Proof of business Business letter head and company registration.

Depending on the Quality of build you want you'll hardly get it done in one year so if you intend driving it through out the build Id say you'll have to suck it up and tax it privately until you get the SQI qualification. Has it a high roof ?

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭harderthanf

I don't have a van just yet. Looking at options.

There are a few sellers around that are selling commercials but not taking the VAT. I am wondering where that would leave me if I purchased this and converted it.

I am not sure if Revenue would look for me to pay the VAT and the VRT at conversion time.

Advertisement