Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Noisy" electricity mains.

Options
  • 31-07-2023 4:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,344 ✭✭✭

Apologies in advance if I am in the wrong place !

A few weeks ago there was a planned power cut to facilitate installation of fibre/broadband on the Electric Ireland poles.

After power was restored there seemed to be a lot of electrical noise riding in on the mains.

Long wave radio [Yes I know but some of us still use it at times ! ] that is operated from the mains is just loud violent noise.

Battery powered radios for marine hand held and air band scanner also picking up the interference quite strongly and loudly within the house. If you take them down the back garden at about 10 metres from the house there is no interference [ Poles are at the front of the house].

Any ideas ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,898 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

How strange.

Could you start flipping switches in the fuse board to isolate the room where the noise is coming from, then isolate the appliance? That's presuming it is an appliance inside the house.

Or is it coming from the pole at the front of the house? In which case you would call Electric Ireland and have them check.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭10-10-20

If you're convinced that it's noisy mains, it may indicate that you have faulty equipment installed somewhere, but you can have the mains tested by an electrician for THD (total harmonic distortion) expressed as a % which would indicate whether there is a mains noise issue present. THD should be less than 4% or 5% as far as I recall.

What I would do firstly is unplug all devices off the mains while listening to the noise on the radio, that may allow you to isolate the problem if it is as I said a faulted device.

Advertisement