Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Cordless DIY Drill

Options
  • 29-07-2023 9:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭

I'm looking to buy a cordless DIY Drill. It will mainly be used for assembled/dissassembling Ikea furniture, drilling holes in masonry to attach said furniture, putting up shelves/garden shed etc. Nothing too extreme.

I've used Dewalt before and was always impressed, same with Ryobi

I'm just a bit confused as to which one to go for, for example there seems to be a lot of very similar Options with Dewalt: DCD778S2T-BQGB -v- DCD778D2T-SFGB

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭blueskys

You are describing two different tasks there - Drilling and screwing. I would get a drill and impact driver if you could afford with a two batteries. Would choose ryobi over dewalt - in my experience de walt batteries tend to give up quicker or stop working when the terminals are exposed to other metals or water. A good drill/impact driver set would do you.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭user060916

Okay, I've always used the same device for drilling and screwing before and not sure I can justify two devices/prices

• Registered Users Posts: 31,058 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Those two drills appear to only differ by the battery capacity. If you're only doing the odd small job then battery capacity doesn't matter, although I wouldn't avoid going too small as you may lose some power; 2Ah would be the absolute minimum IMO. My tools use 4 or 5Ah batteries as I bought them for big jobs with much more demanding tools (saws, planers, sanders, lawnmowers etc); a drill is not usually a demanding tool.

FWIW the last combi I bought was for my mother who had similar needs to yours, it was the DCD776D2T with 2x2Ah batteries, which is probably the same but a couple of model years behind.

You might be able to save money by avoiding "brushless" drills, these tend to have a premium but are total overkill for DIY (the brushes on non-brushless tools wear out but are easily and cheaply replaced, there's a small efficiency benefit from brushless but not a big deal).

If you can stretch the budget to a set of drill and driver that would be ideal, otherwise just budget for some decent carbide masonry bits e.g. https://www.screwfix.ie/p/dewalt-straight-shank-masonry-drill-bit-set-8-pieces/3189x

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭user060916

Found this online https://www.reddit.com/r/Tools/comments/8oaq15/dewalt_nomenclature/ which explains the Dewalt model numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,868 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

I am torn between Einhell & Lidl :) I can't justify spending more & other tools by both have lasted really well. The issue is batteries. Lidl are easy to get but with Einhell you pay more because Amazon won't ship batteries here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭qaz123

Have a few Lidl tools including hammer drill and impact driver, perfect for DIY use, cheap and cheerful and come with a 3 year warranty. Get the 4ah batteries if you plan on doing good bit of work at the same time

• Registered Users Posts: 6,370 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

It would be hard to look passed this drill for general home DIY work. You could look at a combi set and get an impact screw gun but unless you're screwing a lot screws into timber there'd be no point. It has a 2.0Ah battery which is more than enough. I have and use this drill along with others albeit with bigger batteries and they've been flawless.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Saladin Ane

In my opinion Ryobi are (pricewise) the best option.I started buying them about 12 years ago and have had no problems. One battery does all until you go for higher voltage.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,091 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Looks good, I need a drill for screwing and drilling without having had a drill before, what bits would you get with it?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,370 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

You wont get any bits included but they'll have sets of driver and drill bits for small money in screwfix.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 846 ✭✭✭Boardnashea

I recently bought the Screwfix own brand impact driver and drill set. Seems to provide all the power I need for domestic use. There is an interchangeable battery with each machine so unless you are using one in each hand you should have more then enough power. 18v system but small batteries. Titan. Set of two will cost you less than a battery from a high end version.

Advertisement