Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No Sunday premium paid

Options
  • 29-07-2023 6:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 16

I work in the retail security sector,I don’t get paid a Sunday premium when I work a Sunday ,is this the case with with the majority of security companies in Ireland or just the one I work for.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,381 ✭✭✭...Ghost...

My brother works construction security. No overtime rate for 12 hour days. No Sunday premium. No sick leave. Paid just above minimum wage and below the minimum wage for security personnel. He pays his own safepass and gets no pay when off for such courses necessary for his employer.

It's a shìt sector. Security used to be a job one could expect a decent wage, overtime rates and Sunday double. That was 20 years ago before the sector took advantage of foreign nationals.

Stay Free

• Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

It sounds like the employer is in breach of legislation, specifically the Safety, Health and Welfare at Work Act, 2005. See below.

Section 8,

(2) Without prejudice to the generality of subsection (1), the employer's duty extends, in particular, to the following:

(g) providing the information, instruction, training and supervision necessary to ensure, so far as is reasonably practicable, the safety, health, and welfare at work of his or her employees;

And then:

Section 8,

(2) Without prejudice to the generality of  subsection (1) , the employer's duty extends, in particular, to the following:

(5) Every employer shall ensure that any measures taken by him or her relating to safety, health and welfare at work do not involve financial cost to his or her employees.

There's also Section 10.

10.—(1) Without prejudice to the generality of section 8 and having regard to sections 25 and 26, every employer shall, when providing instruction, training and supervision to his or her employees in relation to their safety, health and welfare at work, ensure that—

(a) instruction, training and supervision is provided in a form, manner and, as appropriate, language that is reasonably likely to be understood by the employee concerned,

(b) employees receive, during time off from their work, where appropriate, and without loss of remuneration, adequate safety, health and welfare training, including, in particular, information and instructions relating to the specific task to be performed by the employee and the measures to be taken in an emergency,

When the above says during time off from their work, that doesn't mean that they have to do the training on their own time. It means that they should be given time off from work in order to do the training.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,381 ✭✭✭...Ghost...

They don't care. They mostly employ guys with little to no English and no other real job prospects. Dire conditions.

It's one of these

Stay Free

Advertisement