Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

EasyTrip toll tag left in a car I bought.

Options
  • 29-07-2023 1:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 17

Hi everyone.

Bought an ex fleet 2019 Passat for my wife. Took it through various tolls across Ireland, heard a beep and the barrier raised "for free". I discovered an EasyTrip tag was left on the window. I found the previous owners info and phone number in the glovebox on a VW service receipt. (bought the car at auction)

Weird that the tag still works, considering it was originally on a County Derry/NI plate. Now on D plates.

Name lines up with previous Bluetooth devices. Should I call him? Is that legal?

Kind Regards

Diarmuid

Post edited by LIGHTNING on

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,829 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Take the tag off the window for starters. There would be no legal issue with calling the previous owner. Anyone would be glad to be told to cancel the tag; many would expect you to refund them but I'd say not everyone would if its only a few tolls.

Lots of NI car owners have tags - the M1 has a toll for instance; so its not that odd.

If it was actually a case that it was fleet owned and the old 'owner' was just the driver - they won't care, just throw away the tag and be happy you got some free tolls.

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭GSBellew

The tag will work at the toll booth because the system is looking for a valid tag, at most tolls it reads the reg as a backup and will open the barrier even if the tag is not read, but it does not check the tag it reads against the reg.

This means that you can have one tag between two cars for most toll booths, register it to one but mount it in the other.

OP, you could send the tag back to the tag supplier & let them deal with it.

Send it to easytrip ..

EA House, Damastown Industrial Estate, Mulhuddart, Dublin 15

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭pinkfloyd34

Exactly, they charge 20e or maybe more now for lost tags and they should just cancel it then.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 idiot4

Just called him there, he told me not to worry about it, an American multinational pharma company pays the toll tags, they also owned the car and he quit his job there, so he told me to put it back up, and don't worry about it 😁Nice guy. I found out the car drove from Armagh to Cork and back twice a week which makes sense with all the tolls

Thanks for the advice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,407 ✭✭✭Wailin

Win win 😎

• Registered Users Posts: 3,319 ✭✭✭...Ghost...

Not a very nice guy if he's telling you to steal. I hate the tolls as much as the next guy, but I wouldn't encourage theft from a person, or a company. It won't be the ex-employee who might be hit with a whopping bill when one of the accountants or fleet managers figures out what's happening.

Stay Free

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭User1998

If a manager ever notices, the pharma company just needs to call Eflow and explain the situation and request a refund from the date of sale onwards. Its then up to Eflow to send the bill to the current owner. Current owner will then have 28 days or so to pay without any penalties

Considering its an American multinational pharma company, I would not feel bad letting them pay my tolls😂

• Registered Users Posts: 14,377 ✭✭✭✭elperello

If the OP takes the ex employee's advice he will be committing fraud.

It's a small amount now but will increase in time with multiple trips plus the monthly administration fee.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,032 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

The former "owner" does not give a crap about the tag and might well have left on bad terms and thinks it's very funny to have his ex-employer on the hook for the fees. Except of course that is not what will happen...

Why would you advise anyone to take a chance on a criminal conviction for fraud when you have no idea who it will pan out??? For all you know the employee could have left on bad terms and in an American MNC it could well be there security guys who deal with the matter and make a criminal complaint against the ex-employee who will have no issues about passing the problem on to the OP? And since the OP called the ex-employee he won't even be able to claim he did not know about the tag.

OP - only you can decide if it is worth the risk of a criminal record for the sake of saving a few Euros on tolls...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭Jazz Hands

How are you going to handle it if and when you get sued?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,379 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

... or is it? Eflow charge the company for use of a toll tag registered to the company.

If the company have not unregistered the toll tag from their account, had it deactivated or reported as lost surely the company has no grounds to request any refund from eflow and eflow no obligation to pay any refund.

I would think there are better grounds for the company to request the OP for payment of any tolls which have been charged to the tag since he bought the car. Unless it continued for some time and built up to a substantial amount it would probably go unnoticed or not be worth following up.

Continuing to use the tag could leave the OP open to being charged for theft and possibly fraud.

The best course of action would be to contact the company and ask what to do with their toll tag.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 633 CMod ✭✭✭✭LIGHTNING

Right this is either a troll or a wind up. Either way the OP has his answer.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement