Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cost to fit spotlights and dimmer switch

Options
  • 28-07-2023 7:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 27

Hi everyone, is this normal to cost around 2700 to 3000 euro to get 32 led spot lights and 5 dimmer switches installed in the house. This is what I was quoted and the product they will use is from deta for switch and source brand for LEDs. I think it's way too much but could be wrong. What should be right pricing as per your experiences?

Answers

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭Maewyn Succat

What type of house? Single storey or 2 storey? Are they replacing existing lights?

I'm guessing from the quote that there would be a lot of work in getting cables to the lights such as lifting flooring upstairs?

• Registered Users Posts: 27 NittenE39

It's 2 story house and have hanging lights. I was told new holes and wires needs to be installed for the 4 rooms and rest had existing lights so simply replacing the lights. I have not got anything like this done before so wanted to check if this is a rip-off or a fair cost. Thanks

What sort of flooring have you got in the rooms above where the new spotlights are to be installed? Did they mention lifting the upstairs flooring as it probably the only way to get wires to the new lights?

Are the existing lights spotlights or pendant lights/lights fixed to ceiling? If they aren't spotlights then they will be most likely be screwed to wood behind the plasterboard the spotlights would need to be offset rather than put in the same position as the old lights. This might need a bit of extra work especially if the wires aren't long enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭kirk.

I wouldn't bother with this type of work unless necessary

Spotlights are old school imo

The existing lights are pendent (1 per room) and above first floor is the attic however they said they will have to drill the holes into ceiling of the rooms to install the spotlights and also run the wires. They didn't say to lift the attic floor or so. Same for the ground floor. They will cut the holes directly into the ceiling without touching the flooring of the first floor. I'm just not sure if the money they are asking is reasonable. Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,393 ✭✭✭Shoog

Sounds about right for that sort of work. It would generally be around €100 per light or socket and this sounds like a much more complex job. Not worth it in my opinion - better going for pointable spots off a central fitting.

Sorry I was assuming the lights are being installed downstairs. If they are being installed upstairs it's an easy enough job.

Cutting holes for the lights is a simple job buy getting wires to the holes can involve a lot of work.

To be honest I think the quote is on the high side(without looking at the work involved). Can you get another quote?

Also why do you want so many spotlights? There used to be a trend in new houses to put in multiple spotlights all around the house but people seem to be moving away from this.

Thanks Shoog, yes they are fixed. They did say it will make a lot of mess and dust when they will do the work. This is the photo they gave me for reference of their work. Sorry I might have used wrong terminology as I'm not fully familiar with that. They are fixed one direction lights. As in pictures.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,962 ✭✭✭Mr. teddywinkles

Fishing cable is usual a pain in the arse even for the most experienced spark. It's where the joist need to be crossed is the real problem. Usually involves lots of cuts in ceiling an patching it backup. If the floor above be removed if its screwed down can make it easier if it's just something like osb. If its breton slab or hollowcore that's being lathed and slabed. It can be a bigger challenge.

With 32 leds it sounds like lots of fishing and cutting

OK I see how they are going to do it. They're going to cut holes in the ceiling so they can drill the wooden beams to get the wires to where they need them rather than lifting flooring.

Does the quote include repairing damage to ceiling and repainting them?

• Advertisement

Thanks guys, yes all will be patched and fixed. So in that case do you think 2700 euros is fine to do all work. Here is the list of all work I need to get done.

Does patched and fixed include painting? Or is it going to be similar to the way they patched and fixed the 3 holes in the bottom right corner of the first picture you posted? I would imagine you will need to pay a painter and decorator to come in after they have finished if that's the case.

There is a lot of work in what you want done and although 2700 sounds high its probably not far off the mark. I'd still look for other quotes though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

Would you DIY it?

Even marking and drilling the holes and fishing 1.5sq wire? It's a pain and time consuming, but very doable for someone with a drill and a set of hole saws.

I bought a new build and put 17 spots into various rooms. Once you figure which direction the joist runs you can plan out the least number of holes to get wires where you want.

It wouldn't be allowed as it's not minor works

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭horseman34

Even if he was only to drill the holes and run the cable and not connect any lights?

Suppose there's nothing preventing anyone from helping a REC if they don't mind

There is no strict definition of minor works. There is a definition of restricted works, and this is not it.

It just depends whether the OP is comfortable doing it, and has (or is willing to invest in) the skills or tools to do it.

An example of minor works as given in 13/147 is

"Replacement or relocation of light fitting where the existing circuit is 

retained; and

 Provision of an additional socket to an existing radial circuit"

So moving existing light fixtures and adding extra fittings to an existing circuit is definitely fine.

You seem to be one of those nonsense posters 😁

I could be wrong but I'm not checking

Fair enough.

You made a claim that it's not minor works. There's a definition of what is NOT minor works and that's not it, so who's talking nonsense?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,730 ✭✭✭meercat

It’s not minor works there are multiple light fittings being added to the circuit

if new cables are installed by a rec then it has to be to current regulations

the cables have to be rcd protected and also surge protected to comply

• Advertisement

I don't know where ye are getting your info from.

Read the legislation and the docs from Safe Electric.

There is no definition of minor electrical works. There is a definition of restricted works, which require a REC and a certificate.

There's no reason for the OP to add another RCD and a surge to the existing ring, it would already have these in the CU, and these would be plenty adequate for what the OP is doing.

Of course minor works have to be done safely, with the correct gauge, correct tools and observing safe zones, but this is all well in the remit of a DIYer.

As stated in my post. If a rec does this then he has to add rcd and surge protection to comply with regulations

there may not be rcd or surge protection on the existing light circuit as it’s a relatively new regulation

adding multiple lightning points and cables is not minors work

you have posted a link stating that adding a light (singular) is considered minor which I agree with but the op is adding multiple points which is not minor

Why would you add RCD and surge to a circuit that already has it? Why would it not be there on a new build?

Where does it say that multiple lights is not minor?

You're making all this up.

If it already has rcd and surge protection then great. I must have missed where the op stated it was a new build

the regulations state that adding an additional light (singular)is considered minor work. It can’t list everything that wouldn’t be considered minor as the list would be endless

“making it up” I’m just stating the facts

Exactly, I'm glad you agree.

So it's impossible to say something is "not minor works", since there's no list of what IS minor works. The "singular light" is one example from an endless list of possible examples.

The only definitive is whether something is restricted works, which does have a list, and the OPs job is not restricted, so long as the OP doesn't go near the CU, which they really shouldn't have to.

I don’t agree,but that’s fine.I’ve put my points across as best I can. Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭yozico

What are Minor Electrical Works?

Minor Electrical Works generally involve the “like for like” replacement of switches, sockets, lighting fittings and/or additions to an existing circuit. The work must be in compliance with the National Wiring Rules.

I think the OP is permitted to carry the works based on the above.

However, if the circuit is not installed in line with current standards, e.g. no RCD protection on the lighting circuit, would the entire circuit need to be upgraded as per IS10101?

He left all the bare earths loose inside the spots

The hazard with even basic diy , the guy is confident he knows what's he's doing

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭AmpMan

"the regulations state that adding an additional light (singular)is considered minor work. It can’t list everything that wouldn’t be considered minor as the list would be endless"

So if he adds one everyday for a week its ok?

😂

• Advertisement
Advertisement