Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Commencement notice required or not?

Options
  • 28-07-2023 4:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭

Hi, we are about to start work on the attic conversion with dormer, we wanted to start getting the commencement notice process started however the builder says we don't need it. He says its required if you are remortgaging or paying through the bank (do you reckon he means loan from the bank or actually referring to payments to him from us by bank transfer ?)

Sorry never done that before so a bit confused. There are couple of exact same attic conversions he did in our road before, is there any online database that I could check if they applied for building work commencement notice? 

Thanks 

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,859 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Commencement notice required (as I assume you have planning permission for the dormer?).

By the way, a commencement notice is nothing to do with banks and/or borrowing money!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭wildwillow

It must be submitted between 14 and 28 days before work commences. Cannot be backdated. Held up my start by a week, builder refused to start. Nothing to do with how the project is financed. All assuming you have planning permission.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭EriktheRed

Thanks guys, yes not sure why builder is saying there is no need, any reasons behind that? Yes we have planning already, granted last year. Are there actually any checks that happen regarding that. Only Scaffolding might be going in next week but not confirmed yet. Builder said maybe few days after scaffolding is in. Should we hold off to exact 14days to be on the safe side? I'd say builder probably won't be happy, so not a great start

• Registered Users Posts: 45,959 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Where abouts in the country are you located?

You would be very unlucky to have a BC inspector arrive before the minimum 14 day notice period. But its up to yourself whether you stick to the rules or not.

North County

He is also doing bathrooms for us, which weren't included in the planning, We added them as extra, would that work if we ask him to start there first? That way could give us time for notice to become valid?

• Advertisement

On face value the general Dublin area would have a higher level of inspections compared to the rest of the country but then again there's a lot more development works there. The last time I looked the building inspectors were tasked with carrying out a minimum of one inspection on 15% of new builds. No mention specifically of inspections of extensions etc.

Anyhow fire away with the bathroom works and that will eat up a bit of time.

@muffler thank you for that.

Am i correct on this:

The certificate of compliance on completion must be signed by the Assigned Certifier and Assigned Builder. It certifies that the building/works have been conducted in accordance with Building Regulations.

The Building Control Authority can then invalidate the CCC if there was no commencement notice submited before, am I correct on this one?

Builder won't get in any trouble in that case as its owners responsibility to obtain commencement notice?

Invalid CCC will mess up any possible sale of the house, correct?

It's our first time doing it, so just want get our heads around it and do it according to the rules

Thanks

Owner, builder and certifier details are included when submitting the commencement notice so if you follow the required steps you won't have any bother with invalidation or possible future sale.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,009 ✭✭✭Gusser09

I'm surprised the builder refused to start. We overlooked out notice of the extension. I got it in a few days before it was due to start. Architect assured me that the chances of the the council either checking site or stopping work were minimal to non existent.

Builder didn't care either way. Just wanted to start the job. Obviously we took a risk but I'd be interested to see how many times it's an issue if works starts before the commencement date.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,859 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Just a very quick response as I don't have time just now!

You may be looking at wrong commencement notice form!

If you only having planning permission for a dormer, and no other extension, then it's the most basic form of Commencement Notice required to be submitted (there is/will be no need for a Design/Assigned Certifier).

• Advertisement

Hi

is it 7 day one?

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭picorette

7 Day notice is a fast track notification of commencement, prior to the granting of a Fire Safety Certificate, so that is not the correct one. It will be one of the others depending on whether you are opting out or not

• Subscribers Posts: 41,386 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

you need the "commencement notice without compliance documentation"

no need to 'opt in' or 'opt out'

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,915 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Planning and commencement notice 100% required.

Id have serious concerns with the builder if that’s the advice he is giving you.

Notice without Compliance documentation may be required.

Advertisement