Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Diet recommendations

Options
  • 27-07-2023 3:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi all, I'm generally pretty healthy and not necessarily overweight but I've noticed my body changing now that I've hit my 40's. I'm a female and I have read that hormones are a big factor. I'm wondering if there is any nutritional advice for specific my specific age group and gender. Any suggestions welcome!

P.s. I am reading Eat like a girl..so also understanding that fasting could kick start my weight loss.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭essdee

There a number of things you can do.

1. I would suggest increasing:

(a) Fibre (found in nuts, seeds, whole-grain cereals, fruit, vegetables and legumes) because it will increase fat excretion, reduce energy intake, and increase insulin sensitivity).

(b) Fatty foods (found in fermented dairy products (Whole yogurt), Extra virgin olive oil) to suppress appetite.

(c) Betacarotene (found in carrots, spinach, lettuce, tomatoes) because it will help with bone formation and reduce oxidative stress.

(d) Vitamin C (found in oranges, kiwi fruit, peppers) and (e) selenium (2 Brazil nuts a day) because both will reduce oxidative stress

2. I would suggest reducing the amount consumed of

(a) sugar-sweetened beverages (Coke, Fanta etc.) to help maintain satisfactory body composition

(b) Processed foods (Meat pies, hamburgers, sweets, fruit juice, processed meats, pizza, beer, spirits) because they are associated with lower total body bone mineral content)

3. If you're not doing some kind of resistance exercise, I would begin to do that to maintain muscle and bone health.

Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Cill94

Hormones are not a big factor actually, that's a myth that gets propogated to sell books, diets etc. Dietary weight loss is governed by your energy intake (calories).

Good nutrition is the same in your 40s as it was in your 20s. Big things are:

• Eating plenty of fruit and veg
    • Getting in protein at every meal
    • Drinking mostly water
    • Limiting alcohol intake
    • Moderating high processed high cal foods like pizza, chocolate, ice

Doing the above alongside regular exercise will help you reduce your calories and improve your health. Fasting is not necessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭Bellie1

I disagree re hormones, maybe you were referring to the hunger hormones. I eat pretty much the same healthy food most days and was consistently very active cardio wise. When I hit perimenopause and oestrogen was dramatically fluctuating, I found i could gain a kg in a month no bother when my oestrogen levels were spiking. This was doing same activity and eating the same. I started doing heavy resistance training so have gained significant muscle and minimised fat gain. Cardio doesn't cut it any more. Work hard to maintain your muscle . Learn barbell strength training and progress and eat lots of protein of course focus on eating healthily too but don't cut calories too much. I recently discovered Stacy Sims podcasts, worth listening to.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Eire2023

Thanks for the feedback. I actually already eat well and exercise ..but yes perhaps upping my strength training will help a lot. Thanks everyone!

• Registered Users Posts: 39,024 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

There is no such think as "toning". Somebody who appears toned has low body fat, that's all. To achieve that you need to simply lose body fat.

It's fine to used toned casually to refer to having low body fat. But when you start talking about it as a separate activity to fat loss, you've swallowed snake oil

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12 Mosorchat

Focus on consuming a balanced mix of macronutrients, protein, carbohydrates, and healthy fats. Including lean sources of protein (such as poultry, fish, legumes, and tofu) can support muscle maintenance and repair. Opt for complex carbohydrates (whole grains, fruits, vegetables) that provide sustained energy and fiber. Include healthy fats from sources like nuts, seeds, avocados, and olive oil, which are important for hormone production and absorption of fat-soluble vitamins.

Advertisement