Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Strange New Worlds S2-E8- ''Under the Cloak of War '' ~~ { ** Spoilers Within ** }

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,418 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Also what do they do when having sex with a human/humanoid.

Think we learned a lot about Dax in that reveal.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,161 ✭✭✭corkie

@AMKC A klingon Women should have had four breasts then.

It has been reported that Gene want a three breasted Troi.

Edit:- Total Recall style?

Post edited by corkie on

The Digital Services Act 2024 [EU] ~ Social Media and You ~ Nanny State guidance for parental monitoring of apps ~ Censorship: - broad laws that will probably effect Adult use of same.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,822 ✭✭✭✭flazio

He got a lap dancer in one of the TOS movies didn't he? Might have been Final Frontier.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,161 ✭✭✭corkie

@flazio Are you thinking of Uhura's Fan Dance?

The Digital Services Act 2024 [EU] ~ Social Media and You ~ Nanny State guidance for parental monitoring of apps ~ Censorship: - broad laws that will probably effect Adult use of same.

No, I'm thinking of some scene somewhere of a, shall we say, exotic dancer with three clear bulges on her chest. I'm 80% sure it was a Star Trek film.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭eadrom

Yeah, you were right. It's Star Trek 5, the "feline dancer": https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Nimbus_III_inhabitants#Feline_dancer

Kirk throws her in an apparently instantly fatal shallow pool of water: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D6d_zmdls4U

Re-watched that film recently and it was much worse than I'd remembered.

I'm not sure about the stripper in Final Frontier but while trying to Google it I just learned something absolutely mind blowing.

3-breast Total Recall lady is also ensign Sonya Gomez

🤯

Excuse me that's Captain Sonya Gomez to you. She commands the USS Archimedes as seen in First First Contact (Lower Decks S2 E10)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,726 ✭✭✭Evade

I think we always knew Dax was into some weird stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 6,564 ✭✭✭Mollyb60

That was a massive tonal shift after the Lower Decks crossover!

Has it been explained canonically why only some of the crew were in the war? Pike doesn't seem to have been but Ortegas was even though she's younger?

Husband has commented that Pike doesn't seem to ever make any decisions for himself. He just goes along with whatever is suggested. A very different captain from Picard or Janeway.

• Advertisement

"Has it been explained canonically why only some of the crew were in the war?"

Yes and in usual terrible Disco writing style. You see Adm.Cornwall

"believed the battle against the Klingons was a defining moment for the Federation, and feared the Federation's decisions would compromise its morality. As such, in her view it was imperative the captain she most trusted was guaranteed to survive in order to serve as the voice of reason, representing the very best ideals of the Federation"

Her exact words were:

"You sat out the war because if we'd lost to the Klingons, we wanted the best of Starfleet to survive. And as this conversation makes clear, that was you… and all you represent."

• Registered Users Posts: 27,053 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

He just reminded me of that Ezekiel  guy from Walking dead...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Grim, bordering on dour but also quite effective; a much better showing of the Klingon War than Disco ever managed in season 1, which isn't say a lot mind you. The flashback sequence was well done though and had little Trek infused moments of triage medicine (I was pleased with myself for saying "put the kid in the transporter buffer" before M'Benga said the same. Smug, lol.

I think Pike is Captain Space Dad: a peacemaker in charge of children, running the ship more by consensus and engagement than "smartest man in the room" energy you'd see previously. It's a nice change, cos it makes it easier for the ensemble to have their moments - even if it can make Pike look like he doesn't rule the roost. But then maybe a good manager / captain doesn't always need to?

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭Greyjoy

A very good episode. I'd agree with earlier comments that it showed the Klingon war in a far better way than Disco ever did. I liked the twist that the Ambassador pretended he killed his comrades because treachery was a lesser evil than cowardice in Klingon eyes (plus in a twisted way he gets to pretend he bested 3 other Klingon warriors in combat). But the resolution was too convenient for me. Pike talks about a tribunal but his demeanour suggests it will be a formality. It's hard to believe Starfleet wouldn't get to the very bottom of what happened to one of its most (in)famous ambassadors aboard one of their own ships.

As a small addendum I though the design of the other Starfleet ship "Kelcie Mae" was really out of place. It felt like a "31st Century" design suddenly appearing back in TOS era.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,078 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

But any inquiry would always just be a formality. No-one will want to look to hard at the facts, and even if the truth came out, they'd still want to bury it. The Klingons won't want their general's cowardice revealed, and would also take satisfaction in his death. The Federation won't want to risk the peace he bartered or reveal they were duped by a war criminal. M'benga will have the murder rubber stamped by admirals either way.

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭Greyjoy

There's a difference between "burying the truth" and looking the other way when one of your officers kills an ambassador aboard your own ship. Starfleet could easily write off the incident as M'benga killing Dak'Rah during a bout of PTSD. I'm not saying Starfleet would have to reveal the truth of what actually happened to the Klingon Empire but by the same token for there not to be any sanction/repercussion against M'benga stretches credulity for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,895 ✭✭✭DoctorEdgeWild

Watched this whole series so far back over the last couple of days. This episode is even better on a rewatch. Really outstanding.

Nurse Chapel and Doctor M'Benga get so much development and are written, and acted, so well.

Even though Pike isn't featured heavily, we get to see the slight weakness that can come from being a 'friendly Dad' type of captain. It's great writing and makes the characters so much more real. Instead of the DIS style of giving a character a problem and they overcome it, sometimes people have problems that they just have to step around.

So glad they didn't go for a 'M'Benga forgives all and the Federation principles win the day' ending. So much better to have legitimate flaws, secrets, hatred and scars in your characters.

Advertisement