Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hiking/Backpacking for a beginner

Options
  • 26-07-2023 12:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭

Perhaps it was because it was my birthday recently, but I've come to the realization that I have done very little traveling in my lifetime. I think it's time I changed that. I was considering going on a bicycle tour, but I figured that backpacking is logistically easier and possibly cheaper.

I have had a look at some of the long-distance European walking routes (E routes) and, next spring if possible, I'd love to challenge myself by doing a section of E 12, which covers the Mediterranean coast of Spain and is roughly 840 km long. I'm still not sure if I will do it all in one go on foot or perhaps cheat a little by taking public transport between sections.

But before I pursue that lofty ambition, I think I should at least do some hiking here in this country first, even if it's just for a night or two away from home.

My problem, however, is that I have no idea where to even begin in terms of what equipment I should buy – a backpack, tent, sleeping bag/quilt, and sleeping mat. I think I can source shoes locally, since there are at least two shoe shops that I know of that sell hiking boots and walking shoes that look like they would be suitable.

Any idea of what I should set my budget at? I could go up to €1000 for everything, as I don't mind spending money to get stuff that is of quality and doesn't weigh a ton.

Secondly, does anyone have a list of good outdoors shops we have in this country? Locally, there is a Regatta, and in Galway, there is a shop with one of the greatest names ever (River Deep Mountain High), but apart from that, I have no idea.

Don't let the terrorists in Israel win. Please donate to UNRWA now!

https://donate.unrwa.org/-landing-page/en_EN

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,208 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Join a group that go hiking in Ireland. As a beginner, not a good idea to go hiking alone. Local groups will also give good advice on clothing, shoes and gear and recommend places to get them.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,274 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

If you're Galway based, I can recommend River Deep Mountain High. I've been in there and owner knows his stuff and iirc from chatting has done some of the big multi day trails. So good chap to ask for advice. Some years ago I walked a good bit of a signposted walk from Oughterard going towards Killary, Western Way I think it's called. In autumn you could stay B&B on this I think and carry less as a starter.

Advertisement