Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gas Meter Query Issue

Options
  • 25-07-2023 9:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭

Hi folks just looking for advice got a gas bill today seemed to be very high considering its only used for heating, i rang the company they said yes it did seem a bit high alright , i took a reading about a few hours later and it had gone up the inital reading was 14214 080 - 14213 324 = 800 m3 i since turned the Gas Mains lever off and it has still gone up another 84 m3

`There is no smell of gas as we had an issue about 18 months ago and Gas Networks came out and we had to get a Gas Plumber in , they did s1ay there could be a fault with the Meter any advice would be appreciated thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,742 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Re-read it again in the AM. A reasonable m3 consumption would be on the region of a couple of m3 per day or slightly more. Are you sure you're not missing a decimal though as you don't normally provide the decimal part as you only pay for full units...

Ie, this is 1150 cubic meters of gas, ignore after the decimal.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,894 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

If it has changed in the AM again and been off all along, ring GNI.They will advise you.There could be a meter fault, so best to just go straight to the experts on it....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,245 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Gas customers advised to submit meter readings as one woman overcharged by thousands

It’s coming to light now a lot of these meters are faulty, they are trying to hide and bury it.

Ring them and tell them you want the meters taken away and tested.

This is the next scandal that will come out about energy companies.

• Advertisement

I have had one and my case is with the CRU at the moment and have spoke to people in gas networks as I work in the area and they confirmed there was a big batch of these faulty meters installed in the last few years.

Sorry that doesn’t amuse you.

Not really an RTE/Tubbers level of a scandal then...

Maybe you don’t find people been charged for gas they didn’t use and the energy companies trying to hide it a scandal but some do.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭faolteam

Thanks folks this is an actual reading at 1220pm today i came home at 6pm and turned the gass off, at mains this an old gas meter under the kitchen press in corner anyway ,

Who do i ring to get the meter tested its my mothers house she probably paying for ages over charged ,

As i said i cant smell gas but this was the issue 18 months ago and gas networks came

Post edited by faolteam on

Crikey, that looks old. I still think that the last three digits are the consumption in centiliters and that you are supposed to only report the m3 value, but I think that the decimal may be missing.

According to info online you need to report meter issues to your service provider.

• Advertisement

Yes its over 50 years, your right i dont give the numbers after the decimal point but just concerned that after the decimal point those numbers are increasing

OK, got you. 👌

If that changes to 14215 i will ring them

• Registered Users Posts: 28,854 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

That's the same as the meter I have.

You don't count the numbers in the red section, so those readings are 14214 and 14213.

Are you sure those pics are in the correct order, because the suggests the second reading is lower which doesn't make sense.

Yes i know about the numbers in the red section i dont add them , as i said just concerned they are going up even though the gas is off thats why i was saying if it goes to 14215 i would notify them , for some reason the pics keep reversing

Yea it hit the 14215, coming out to check tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Lo d

I had an issue with a faulty smart meter. Our gas was capped as we were having work done in the house. We took a picture of the reading when it was capped. I checked a day later out of interest and it had increased. This continued for a number of days, I took pictures of each reading so I contacted my supplier who advised to contact gas networks.

Gas networks sent out an outsourced company to removed and test the meter. The man advised there was an issue with some of the meters and that once testing was completed they would send a report to my supplier to organise a refund. Months and months of chasing with gas networks and my supplier where I was told the report was eventually done resulted in me opening an official complaint with my supplier as I was getting nowhere. Only at this stage did my supplier advise that gas networks admitted my meter was thrown in a skip and never actually tested.

I contacted gas networks who confirmed this was the case and offered a goodwill gesture. The case is currently with the CRU. I’ve no idea how long the meter was pulsing but they confirmed they were aware of some cases of this and also cases of meters ending up in skips instead of being tested.

If your meter is being removed and tested I would get written confirmation of the same. Not a pleasant experience to spend months trying to determine how long the issue was happening and how much we overpaid.

Just an update im still waiting for GNI to come out the Gas company im with said they made the booking GNI say they never recieved it even though i waited in all day now they make another booking , so i ring GNI later in day they say we dont have a record of any booking , Piggy in the middle here is still here with a faulty meter that keeps going upwards and its turned off, even the Regulators will do nothing till you have exhausted every avenue and your Gas company provider can take up to 20 days to even bother to look at your case, the whole energy system is a farce

Just latest update on this faulty meter from my Supplier and only after i emailed them three times this week apparently the cant find the Meter now , God knows how mANY MONTHS IVE BEEN OVERCHARGED :

GNI have sent the following information

Unfortunately GNI did not have any luck in finding meter number , *************

GNI Stores have gone through all the returned meters and have not been able to track down this meter.

Thee Regulator response now is Thank you for contacting the Commission for Regulation of Utilities (CRU).

I am sorry to hear of the issues you are experiencing.

Under S.I. 463 of 2011 the CRU may only assist with unresolved complaints that have completed the suppliers full complaints process but remain unresolved to the customers' satisfaction.  Once you have completed the complaints process if you do not believe that your complaint has been adequately considered please feel free to contact us in relation to this matter.

What next folks?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,306 ✭✭✭✭ted1

What does the C at the end represent?

cm^3?

divide by a thousand. Are you sure the images are in the correct order

gas meters only have somewhere like a 20 year life : here’s details and how you can get it replaced

https://www.gasnetworks.ie/home/gas-meter/meter-replacement/#:~:text=The%20meter%20replacement%20programme,next%20generation%20of%20gas%20meters.

• Advertisement

I dont know what u mean Ted, The Meter was taken away to be checked if it was faulty , but now they have lost the Meter

• Registered Users Posts: 23,306 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Shouldn’t be required.

i assume that they have replaced it with a functional meter.

agree that in 12 months they will are historical usage on actual usage.

I dont think ur grasping this Ted,

My gas bill was getting dearer i was paying for gas that i wasnt using , infact i had not got the Gas on but was been charged the meter was still flying around,

So i reported it to my Gas Company who sent out GNI to remove the meter and test it ( with the fact that if the Meter was not faulty i pay the (€400 charge for this test )

They came took it away months ago and only now after emailing the Gas Provider do they tell me oh yea , GNI have looked everywhere but they can not find the Meter,

So you're not down the 400 EUR and you now have a working meter?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭torrevieja

Think if u read, What the OP says that he has been paying for gas for quite sometime when he didnt have it on ,

Why would he be charged for the Test? and now they have Lost the OP's Meter , convenient that id say.

Yes, I understand that. What I'd do is submit an email in response to the most recent correspondence and state the following:

• That you identified a faulty meter which was consuming registering a rate of gas consumption measured by you between 0.5 and 1.0 cubic meters of gas per day, even when turned off at the valve. Submit photos as provided above and clear information around the readings.
    • That you notified your gas supplier of the discrepancy and that you facilitated access to their agent (GNI) for the purposes of having the meter removed for testing to determine the variance in the usage for the purposes of a historic correction on the bill.
    • That GNI have now admitted that they have lost the meter and hence cannot complete the testing and that leaves your historical overspend uncorrected.
    • Then issue a suggested value for the gas consumed per day, multiplied by somewhere around 3 to 5 years.
    • Sign it off politely suggesting that they review this data and make the financial correction in a timely manner.

Then if that falls on deaf ears, open a CRU case with the same email, etc. Good luck and keep us posted.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,468 ✭✭✭John.G

Anyway, the lost meter readings, "14214 080 - 14213 324 = 800 m3"

14214.080-14213.324 = 0.756M3, (1/1000th of 800) or ~ 8.16kwh. I hope they don't find it.

that was in an afternoon and the gas company provider has been paid in full, quick enough to send the bill, going back further than that

If i was losing 1.0 cubic meters of gas per day, over 5 years what figure am i looking at?

is that 1.0 x 7 days x 52 weeks x 5 years = 1820 cubic meters ? whats the value ?

My own gas provider gave me the wrong email , she had omitted a letter out of the email address "" compaints should be "complaints" these are suppose to be professionals

• Advertisement

Yes, 1820 for that example. Multiply that by the gas unit rate... ie: 14c would be 245 EUR.

Advertisement