Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

F1 2023 - Round 13: Belgium

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

Woohoo, well done Gasly. I'm thrilled.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭McFly85

Hugely enjoyable sprint in the end. Fantastic from Piastri and Gasly!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭Longing

Gasly the drive of the race for me. Great result.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

That was a good one, amazing how quickly the track drys out so fast!

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭thefa

For me, Hamilton understeers a bit towards Perez and was more culpable. You could probably write it off as a racing incident if both cars carried on but there was a clear loser from it. If they judge Hamilton has done wrong, 5 seconds is the minimum.

There’s quite a Perez is **** vibe with numerous posters though so don’t think you’ll have many disagree with you!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,850 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

Many comments have been unfair on Perez given the damage to the sidepod and that was the cause of the grip issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭McFly85

Hamilton did look to drift in, harsh in the conditions I think but not a crazy call.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭recyclebin

Big hole in the side of Perez car.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,154 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

That’s fair, what happened to him after the contact was not his fault. But he did seem to be struggling beforehand, he should’ve have been long gone up the road and slotting in behind Max.

Tomorrow is more important though so let’s see how he gets on starting 2nd. He should be aiming to be leading the race by the time Max catches up.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,176 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Penalty for Hamilton is fine and In Keeping with previous ones. If Hamilton can't hold his line he needs to use his brake pedal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,281 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

He fairly wiped out perez looking back at it.

Brundle being a it of a Lewis fan saying it was fair.

I don't see there was anything Hamilton could have done once he got so far in but it was still his fault.

We are able to look back at it like Davidson on his sky pad - and at one point Hamilton was level at least prior to touching. In fairness Perez didn't change his line (but he couldn't or he'd be further on the kerb and likely lose it) and Hamilton did drift from the inside kerb.

In reality it happened in an instant, in poor visibility, in wet conditions very early on in the hunt. Harsh but fair looking back I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭Lip Out

Brundle is usually very objective and calls it how he sees it. I agree with him here, it did look like a racing incident. ("anyone but Lewis" fan club here)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,854 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Watching live, it did look like a 50:50 race incident, obviously slow motion replays told a different story so Martin didn't have those replays available to him while he's still commentating live.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

• Registered Users Posts: 12,854 ✭✭✭✭flazio

• Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭steinbock123

I wonder, if Piastri keeps knocking it out of the park, how long before Norris starts throwing toys out of the pram ??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,793 ✭✭✭Hijpo

Hamilton looked like he had to try correct the slide twice before hitting him. He could feel the car going and kept it in there anyway.

Merc must be the cause of most incidents and retirement on the grid at this stage, how has hamilton not picked up wing damage there?? They never seem to just touch and keep racing, the other car gets mangled.

When there is a coming together and a car is clearly damaged, hindering performance significantly, the penalty should be that the aggressor cannot finish ahead of that car at the end therefor they cannot improve their position.

If perez finished 9th, Hamiltons final position is not 4th or 7th its 10th. If perez got his car onto the podium Hamilton retains 4th. In this case Perez has to retire, Hamilton goes to the back.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

For the Hamilton pen at first I thought it was a racing incident and that the conditions were mitigating (you could see the car sliding). But the more I think, Hamilton took that corner as if it was dry, meaning he put himself in that position to begin with! 5 seconds is fair enough for me.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

So any slight contact effectively means disqualification if one car fails to finish?

This is absolute nonsense. It’s motor racing. These things happen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,640 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

Checo left the door open but held his line while Hamilton drifted over and caused the collision, wasn't exactly Hamiltons fault . If there was no damage to Checos car then Hamilton shouldn't get a penalty but if you take another driver out of the race then it's probably only fair you get a penalty

• Registered Users Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭kksaints

Think five seconds is fair. He just couldn't correct the drift enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,227 ✭✭✭This is it

Hamilton drifted over and caused the collision, but it wasn't his fault?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,365 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Hamilton got 2 penalty points for his trouble too, which seems unfair to me. I thought it was just a racing incident, but wouldn't object to a 5 second penalty. Penalty points on too of it seems harsh though...

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Jacksie T Malone

Taking the drivers involved out of it, if a driver ends the race of another driver through their actions then the former should expect a penalty.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

That’s not the argument I’m making.

One poster said it should be a disqualification no matter what.

Do you think Hamilton should have been disqualified for that yesterday?

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Jacksie T Malone

I've no idea why you quoted me when my post wasn't aimed at you and I didn't mention disqualification. Disqualification would have been unwarranted for this incident. I don't believe he intentionally 'took Perez out', if he had that would be a different matter. On balance 5 seconds is reasonably for this incident.

On an unrelated note, Russell finished .065 seconds behind Hamilton once the penalty was applied. I'd love to know whether George was aware of the penalty.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Looking like a dry but cold race, that could play a role with tire deg.

Still hard to look past Max for the win.

The weekend just gets worse for Haas and in particular Hulkenberg. Smoke from the back of the car and power issues on the way around to the grid.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,154 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Initially I saw it as a racing incident and thought the penalty was harsh. But equally I can see how he got some sort of penalty since he did end someone else’s race. No why Faugheen quoted you either.

Tbf, Lewis didn’t seem pushed when interviewed about it awards, bugger all points up for grabs. Different if it was a full race and a penalty knocks you off the podium etc.

Re: Russell, never noticed how close he was but 0.65 seems too small a gap to be deliberately done to not overtake Hamilton in the standings imo.

Anyway, race day. Looking dry so far? Hopefully stays that way for the start at least. 🙂

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement