Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Scotland advice Cairnryan to Oban

Options
  • 24-07-2023 1:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,415 ✭✭✭

We were thinking of planning a trip to Scotland just north of Oban. We'll get the ferry to Cairnryan.

What are the roads like? Many motorways or travelling through cities? This is our main concern.

I would appreciate recommendations for things to do around the Oban area suitable for a 9 and 11 year old.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,415 ✭✭✭Ginger83

Mods feel free to move to travel if more suitable

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

I've not been to either area but having had a look on Google Maps I would expect you'd have a mix of country roads (periodically going through towns) and motorway. The shortest/suggested route goes via Glasgow because of the motorway but that's always pretty busy and has a good chance of delays with collisions, roadworks etc.

If you have a look at the route on Google Maps you can get a fair idea of how the journey will go.

Never been to Oban so can't help re: things to do for children - but there's a local tourism board with a site here that might help. VisitScotland may also be worth a look.

Thanks Fysh. I will have a look at this.

Would you mind shifting this over to the travel section to see if it gets any interest please? Or could I have the same thread in both?

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭drakshug

The road from Cairnryan to Ayr is not that great but it has been improved a bit. After Ayr you will be on fast road but you would be better avoiding Glasgow and going over the Erskine bridge.

From there it is the A82 to Dumbarton and then Loch Lomond side which is ok but can be busy and a PITA if stuck behind a caravan. You will be on this road as far as Tyndrum which is a good place to stop and then it is a similar road to Oban. The road standards will be like most N roads here.

Thanks for this. N roads would be fine as we tend to avoid busy motorways and city driving. There was a ferry to Troon but I think it stopped running.

Any tolls on the route?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭adaminho

There's a small beach in Oban depending on the tide. McCaigs tower would be one of the main attractions but be advised its a very steep trek to it. Did the distillery tour run be a girl from Ballinasloe but doubt your kids would enjoy it. Ee-usk is a really nice seafood restaurant and had lunch in Cuan Mór. If your kids like Harry Potter the Glenfinnan viaduct is about an hour further up the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭drakshug

Sorry. Probably a bit late but you will be glad to know that Scotland doesn't have tolls.

Advertisement