Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Used "new" cars. 231 reg

• 23-07-2023 9:15pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭

I have seen quiet a few 231 reg cars for sale, privately, even before we started 232. I have been looking mainly at EVs so can't comment on ICE.

I get that sometimes people make a big purchase, and then perhaps need to move abroad.

What other "genuine" reasons exist? What's a non genuine reason? What's going on?

😎

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,991 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Manufacturer registrations to suit their numbers requirements.

Also, Demo Models.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,087 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

I'd say there's a few fleet cars or company cars in there. Company buys a nice ID.4 but then decided to cut costs and not renew the company car or something

I think a lot of folks looked at how interest rates are going and are wary about taking on additional debt. Even though the likes of VW are offering 0% PCP deals, it's still a monthly expense and you might need the cash to pay for larger mortgage payments or rising living costs

I also suspect people are seeing the price cuts and dumping their orders to try and pick up the same car at a cheaper price

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭September1

There have been some price cuts on new cars in recent months, so some people would like to take a small hit on current car and upgrade to something that was recently discounted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭poker--addict

Its broadly private sales I am seeing - Teslas included.

😎

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,991 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Post some links

There’s a couple of 231 teslas in the owners group for sale from people emigrating.

Otherwise my guess as good as yours. You’d have to ask each seller why their selling.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,923 ✭✭✭zg3409

Some people change their mind. Once incident of queuing at a public charger or other drivers shouting at you (it happens) may turn a rich owner right off EV and they may cut their losses.

I think lots of EV owners jumped on cheap new teslas so slightly older EVs suddenly fill the market.

I suspect a lot of non Tesla orders were cancelled last minute leaving dealers with delivered stock with no buyer.

VW has newer models coming out, slightly facelifted so they are keen to live on demo models. Sometimes cars are preregistered to create statistics like "best selling EV" (for this month) and all manufacturers do this to kick off an ad campaign say in the radio.

With the drop in grant they may want to deliberately pre register and then sell as "used" to justify the lower price as they have too much stock and need to do something to attract buyers.

There seems to be lots and lots of stock out there, new and used, lots of which are high prices and won't shift without a price drop.

Advertisement