Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sorting Irish Channels on New LG TV

Options
  • 23-07-2023 11:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭

I am trying to sort the Saorview channels on a 2023 LG TV. LG in their wisdom have removed the Edit and Move Programme buttons from the Programme Manager. So if you tune the TV for Freesat the Irish channels are in the 8 hundreds and completely jumbled up. I have an old LG that can do this and I can copy these to a USB. Sadly the other TV is too old and the new one does not recognise it. I also had someone who had a more recent LG but still with the Edit and move option copy their channels. Unfortunately they are on a different frequency so that didn't work either. So if I any one can help me please. Personally I would need the file from someone on channels 32 and 34 Polarization H. I think the LG has to be 2021 or 2022. I know others are in the same boat as me so even if you dont have my channels could you please share to here.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭leex

I've done this with 2 new LG tvs. Feeder tv is mine also. I must check mast I'm pulling from and can share here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭Kalyke

• Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭leex

I'm on Maghera channels 46 and 48 so my list is no good to you.

32 and 34 (H) are used in Dungarvan, Glenties, Moville and Roscarbery. Its a long shot I know but someone might be able to help.

Problem solved....for now! I borrowed a tv from another area, tuned it to 32, 34, copied to USB, copied from USB to my TV. Why on earth would LG get rid of this function? I will be doing my research before purchasing another!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭jj880

Found this from the official LG Europe youtube support channel. Daft but seems LG cant do anything about it for freesat.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,538 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

FreeSat and Sky have fixed channel numbers. It's nothing to do with LG. They may allow you to hide unwanted channels but you cannot renumber / move them

• Registered Users Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭jj880

Yes but it was allowed according to other posters who own LG models from a few years ago or older.

Apparently those tvs did allow reordering of freesat channels. So why the change?

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

They allowed rearranging of the Saorview channels, instead of being scattered all over the 800s, and the new version of webOS doesn't allow for that.

I don't think they allowed rearranging of Freesat channels (specifically Freesat when TV is set to UK).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,091 ✭✭✭batistuta9

This isn't exclusive to LG, I've similar on another make, no digital text either.

I think it's because of freeview play/hbbtv standards. Setting up as Ireland & you'd be able to change them if you wanted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭Simi

It may not be exclusive to LG, but it's something LG have the power to fix. You can tune and reorder saorview channels and have Freesat on Sony and Samsung TV's

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭shovel

I'm on maghera as well. Any chance you could share your channel list

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭doney84

Just a thought on this, would it be possible to set up the saorview channels by creating a favourite list of them so you can put them in the order you want?

If it is then could you assign this favourite list to quick access number 1 and then maybe assign BBC One (Freesat)to quick access number 2?

Maybe set the TV up as Irish, tune saorview. Export the channels to a USB. Factory reset the TV. Set it up as UK and reimport the channels. Would that work?

I don't really watch saorview so the channel list doesn't bother me enough to factory reset the TV.

OK I got it. Download this https://github.com/PredatH0r/ChanSort rescan all channels and make sure they're up to date on TV. Export to usb stick. Open file using ChanSort and arrange/delete as you like - it's a fairly intuitive app. Save the file and import from usb stick to TV.

The imported channel list will replace all channels aerial and satellite on your TV so be mindful of that. You will need to setup and quick access links you had programmed again. No idea if this list will last or will reset with every firmware update etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭mackersdublin

I have 'Programme List Update' turned ON for satellite and turned OFF for aerial in 'Programme Tuning & Settings', so in theory freesat epg changes should update fine without affecting the saorview channels. We'll see how long it lasts, but it's a quick fix if/when they do get jumbled up again or saorview gets a new channel.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 kooks87

I was coming here with a question about which TV brand operates Saorview better. I had been leaning towards an LG, but having read this thread it doesn't sound like the best option. Would Sony/Samsung/other be better? My main need would be to have a good and easy to use Saorview set up. Cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭Brian CivilEng

If the TV is just being used for Saorview then LG will work well. If it is a combination of Saorview and Freesat then issues will arise, the LG software does not work well for services coming from two different countries.

Ok thanks a million. Have you any experience with any other brand? Cheers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭Bobson Dugnutt

Great screen, terrible OS. The LG dilemma.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭Brian CivilEng

No, just LG. I am very happy with my LG tv, my only issue with it is the way it handles Saorview once I set up Freesat.

Ok cheers for the info!

Sony's Android TV's let you have Saorview and Freesat channels with 7 day EPG in the correct order (you'll have to rearrange the saorview channels and turn off automatic programme update for the aerial in settings to stop it jumbling them up again).

You can switch between saorview and Freesat in the TV guide fairly easily.

But if you have a laptop and a USB stick then you can rearrange the saorview channels on most smart tv's using the app I posted above. I turned off the automatic programme update for the aerial on my LG c2 and they've been fine ever since. With the short cut keys on the remote switching between Saorview and Freesat is easy and there's a 7 day EPG.

But for simplicity Sony Android TV's are probably best.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭The Ayatolla

Got it sorted. Downloaded ChatSort from another website and it worked. Easy enough - just had to move RTE one to position 1 manually and then did an auto-sort and then just toggled the channels around. Imported back to TV and all now displaying lovely! Thanks for the tip.

Set FreeSat to update automatically now and disabled that option on Saorview.

I even did a Smart Retune of the Antenna/Saorview channels and it kept them in their correct positions (1, 2, 3 etc).

Annoyed me since I got the TV on a Bargain Alert a few months back!

• Registered Users Posts: 7 muskymagic

Hi, you can not transfer ch lists from 'new os' LG TVs ( the ones that you can rearrange the DTV channels ' to the older ones ( where you can rearrange DTV) channels.

I spoke to LG when I noticed this problem.back in 2021....

I explained problem, and they agreed it was different to the older TVs. I asked why things had changed...? They gave me some Blarney, I told them this is the best feature on the TVs..a game changer for non techies , and with the mapping function was brilliant.

They said I was the first to complain, and if more people highlight it they would change in software updates...

Also channel lists will not transfer from older os TVs ( the ones where you can rearrange DTV saorview channels) to the new os..

I have to YouTube videos I posted and told LG to look at them....

If people complain to LG tech dept..maybe they will change..

I will post videos here

• Registered Users Posts: 7 muskymagic

In the second video I highlight the fact you cant edit the saorview...( DTV and Sat)

These are the videos I posted and emailed LG UK ( our nearest support centre)

Could we start to upload channel lists for regions ? I know the only problem is the various different saorview channels frequencies....

What if there was a generic UK list..( a copy of freesat withe the extra channels)....?

Then on the Saorview side.it will be ok?

Any cleaver bucks tried this?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

Similar problems with Samsung extremely annoying you can't just channels to 1,2,3 etc on newer TVs.

🙈🙉🙊

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭The Ayatolla

I used an app (ChanSort) that let me open up the channel list on my Windows laptop and rejig them around, then import them back in to the LG TV.

Was relatively straightforward to use. Export the channels to USB stick, open on PC, edit, save, import back on the TV.

Advertisement