Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

New Car Discount

Options
  • 21-07-2023 4:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭

I'm sure this has been discussed before but I don't see any recent threads.

Can anyone please share some thoughts on new car prices and getting discounts on the price list prices, is haggling or getting a discount really a thing or is it just something people say?

Does trading in a car affect your chances of getting a discount on the advertised price?

I've mentioned to a couple of people that I was looking at a new car and they all said something about getting a deal or not to pay the advertised price. I'm sort of wondering if the salesperson is expecting me to try and get some deal from him. I'm not sure what to do next. 🤔

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,912 ✭✭✭con747

If you don't ask you don't get. I haggle on everything and usually get a discount. If not sometimes I just walk away and go elsewhere if not in a hurry for something.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭pat_sconce

If you are looking for a new car check a few different dealers in different parts of the country.

It will depend on the model and availability and they do not give the discounts they used to.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Lenar3556

A few years ago you could get the guts of 10% off list on some new cars.

I gather it has tightened a lot since.

Bear in mind the dealer will have decent, and possibly greater commission on a finance product than they have on the actual car.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,814 ✭✭✭bmc58

If you have any sort of a half decent car to offer as a trade in that will help to lower the price of a new car.And if the car you have is past its best I think there is still a scrappage value to the dealer (not sure how much could be €2000).But never accept the dealers price,oh yes haggle,you look for free service plan is another way to save money(it doesnt cost the dealer much).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,286 ✭✭✭goochy

travel to another county , make sure they know how far you travelled . Would a dealer not do a good deal knowing that you can easily buy from a local dealer ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 42 Rasher_Sausage

Say there is number of factors, such as if you are trading in, have cash to put towards a new car and the dealer. When I bought new Hyundai, we got about 2k off. We had put 20k towards it. I am on the look out out for new car at moment at in the last week I spoke to a Nissan garage, and wasn't getting much of a discount, only about 500e, while Ford were giving me discount off 1k on new car, and 2k on 2022.

Whatever you decide, haggle, if you don't ask you don't get.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,460 ✭✭✭vandriver

Or the dealer could recognise your sunk cost in wasting a day driving to see a car and low ball you?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭nc6000

I think selling privately and trying to buy a new car without a trade-in may work out a bit better but then it's not as convenient.

I'd still like to know how much wiggle room the salesperson has on a new car or does it vary by make and model?

I know someone in the UK who got 10% off a new Hyundai because they work for the NHS.

I'd be happy with that. 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

I once got a brand new car for free.

Oh wait I just remembered I stole it from the forecourt. It was still a free car though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,644 ✭✭✭creedp

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,678 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

The amount of available discount does vary manufacturer to manufacturer, then it's down to how keen the dealer is to do a deal as to how much they pass on, and how good a negotiator you are.

In general, volume manufacturers have more discount available - the likes of VW/Ford/Kia/Skoda etc rather than Audi/BMW/Jaguar etc.

Some models from volume brands will have lower or no discount, some premium brands may have higher discounts due to over supply.

There still isn't great supply of most cars, and if demand outstrips supply then there's no reason to pass on much discount as they'll be able to sell to someone at full price. There are a few vehicles that are over supplied at the moment that you will get a good deal on.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭younggalway

I was about to post a similar thread so apologies for jumping in but I have a similar query. A family member is buying a new car for 241 and I am trying to figure out what is a realistic price if you don't mind pushing for a deal. I know people are saying margins are tighter but looking at the prices of new cars currently makes that difficult to believe. Wishful thinking..

I'll be doing the negotiating aspect for them, current main contenders are Audi Q3 (54k) or BMW X1 (61k). The fact this class of car now cost this much is scandalous, albeit in decent spec, but that's a another argument.

She won't be trading a car in but also won't be financing through the dealer if that makes any difference, anyone in the know reckon 7/8% off list possible at this price point? Any insight appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,365 ✭✭✭...Ghost...

Get the best price without revealing that the car will be paid for up-front. Dealers get a nice kickback from selling finance, so a cash sale is not what it used to be. Get the price agreed and pay that price.

My OH made an enquiry from a Hyundai dealer last week and they were offering same day finance approval....at nearly 10%. There is no way they weren't making a killing on passing that rate to their customers. It turned me off dealing with them tbh.

Stay Free

• Registered Users Posts: 3,538 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

My brother got about 3.5k off list price of a brand new A4 last week. List price was 58k got it for 54.5k.

S Line diesel automatic.

Even though list price is more or less the same as an A6 from a few years ago I think he did OK to get the few quid off.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,162 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Whatever about discounts on list price, I find it’s the trade in offer that can differ greatly between dealers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭kyote00

• Registered Users Posts: 51,158 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

That much discount these days on a brand new car is probably the exception rather than the rule and down to a few factors:

1. The current A4 and A5 models are coming to the end of their life. They have been on sale since 2016 so quite dated now compared to rivals. A4 is being discontinued and going forward will only be available as an estate and will wear the A5 badge along side the Sportback.
    2. Hybrids and EVs are in demand now while diesel cars less so. This makes getting a generous discount easier on a diesel car especially where dealers have stock to move before a new model arrives.

I don't think you would get the same generous discount from the Audi dealer off a similar etron model.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭carsfan2

I think he got a good deal because the A4 is due for replacement very soon and isn’t in demand much these days.

he may not have done so well on another model.

there’s still no great discount available on anything that’s in short supply or sought after.

Advertisement