Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reappearing notifications

Options
  • 20-07-2023 8:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭

I have a constant notification, a little red '1' on the bell icon. It's telling me there have been new posts on a thread I contributed to yesterday.

1. When I click on it, it takes me to the first comment after my first post on the thread, despite the fact that there are three more pages of comments and I posted again later on the thread.
    2. When I try to get rid of it by clicking 'mark all read' it goes away but reappears when I navigate to any other page on boards.
    3. I have unfollowed the thread, and a few others, but it won't go away.

I'm always very quick to suspect user error but in this instance I don't know what I could be doing wrong. The only thing I can think of is that put one poster on 'ignore' so I haven't 'seen' those posts on the thread. That seems like an unlikely explanation though.

Post edited by Spear on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭HazeDoll

I've turned off ALL notifications in notifications preferences.

The little red circle won't go away.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭Virgil°

Seeing the same issue here. It's a poster who quoted me. I viewed the notification and even clicked "Mark All As Read".

However the notification re-appears.

Any help guys?

• Boards.ie Employee Posts: 973 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Mike

I'm going to flag this for review by Vanilla. Thank you for all of the detail.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭Virgil°

Just to add a common detail(hoping it helps) now reading @HazeDoll 's original post again. I believe the poster who quoted me I also put onto ignore (much like HazeDoll did) after they quoted me. Then the notification refuses to to be dismissed permanently.

At a guess it seems like the backend become muddled between the ignore poster flag and what is pushed to the user as a new notification.

Thanks for the additional info I’ll add it to the request to help them narrow in on the issue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭HazeDoll

I had a bit of time so I unignored the ignored poster, scrolled through every page of the thread, clicked 'mark all as read' and navigated away.

The notification is gone!

I re-ignored the poster and it's still gone. This seems to confirm my suspicion that the problem is caused by ignoring posters.

I have updated Vanilla with this info. Thanks for sharing.

Advertisement