Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Appeal for information

Options
  • 20-07-2023 4:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hello all!

Bit of a weird one here, and I hope mods don’t mind me appealing for information—I am on the trail of my late father’s boat. It is part of his estate, but unfortunately, he didn’t leave behind many clues as to where it might be. It is likely ‘somewhere in Ireland’, and below is the boat info.

Please note that we have already contacted the Warden for Waterways Ireland, who has checked the reg and come up with nothing, likely meaning it’s been stored privately.

If anyone has any information at all regarding the boat, pointers for our search, or even if they knew my father, please do let me know!

Boat name: Rocky Racoon

Owner: Ian Roderick Gibson

Vessel Type: MacGregor 26 (Yacht)

Registration: 9969, registered with Irish Waterways in Enniskillen

Presumed stored out of the water. Likely overdue storage fees.

Thank you!!

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,320 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

Post it on the "Shannon boat owners club" page on fb they have eyes all over the waterways 😉 if you are not on Facebook I can post it for you if you like.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 shadow147

Hi Fergal!

I actually am not on Facebook, if you could really help with that that would be unbelievable!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,320 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

So far it's looking like lough Eren yacht club would be a good place to call they seem to have 99% of the yachts around Enniskillen.

Yeah that was one of my first thoughts, unfortunately they didn't have anything with the corresponding info!

Another tip from Facebook.

I recall seeing a Macgregor 26 stored on a trailer in the private marina at Carnadoe. Done, the owner of the marina lives just across the road and is very nice. He could quickly tell you if it was your dad's.

• Advertisement

This is a great lead thanks so much again Fergal!

I will see if I can get in contact with someone associated with that one-- a quick Google yields this:

Will call the number there tomorrow and let you know if there's any luck!

Another post......A MacGregor 26X ,"Rock Racoon" from UK MacGregor Owners Association joined us for a week on Lough Derg some years ago. He may have sold it on since.

Long shot there is / was a McGregor birthed in Malahide marina been there donkeys years totally neglected.

Post edited by fergal.b on

There might also be a record of the last lock the boat passed through it might give you some idea of where she ended up.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,037 ✭✭✭✭neris

Saw a dark hulled one sitting in a garden down in baltimore west cork about 3 weeks ago. Don't remember a name on it but only stood out to me because it's a mcgreogor

• Advertisement

No luck with Malahide unfortunately! They suggested calling BJ Marine in Greystones but no luck there either.

The number from the screenshot I posted turned out to be for Roosky Lock and they didn't know how to contact Carnadoe. From my research it seems the 'Donie' we're looking for may be 'Donie Conlan', but I'm coming up short on finding any contact details for him~

Also if there is indeed any way of searching Lock records by registration or something that would be a huge help.

Thanks for everything so far gang!!

....SO.

My brother walks in the door just now and says "Found it".

After all this, apparently it was being stored by a random business owner in County Down😂 Good luck guessing that one.

The guy is not back until mid next week, at which time we'll get in contact with him and get right to selling it to alleviate the debt from dad's estate.

So, if you're in the market for a 2003 Macgregor 26, do get in touch!

I just want to take a minute to say a huge thank you to everyone here who went out of their way to help and post great suggestions-- and @fergal.b please do relay my heartfelt thanks to all the folks at Shannon boat owners club who jumped in to help as well!!

Thanks a million folks, and maybe someone will be taking the Rocky Raccoon back out on the waves again sometime soon!

Great news 👏 good luck with the sale.

Advertisement