Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving to ireland from germany, any tips for moving internationally?

Options
  • 19-07-2023 2:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi, over the past year I saved up enough money to spend a year in ireland (and if everything goes well, continue living there.

I visited recently and it's absolutely beautiful, but it certainly faces more challenges than moving somewhere across the street.

This is the first time I'm moving too, so hones any moving advice is welcome. Mainly I was wondering if it makes a bad impression if I can't come view any places in person, of course I could travel there again but if I get turned down that would be an entire trip wasted.

What are some things I NEED to know

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭RurtBeynolds

There is a very serious housing shortage here, so you will have a very hard time securing accommodation without viewing in person.

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭Jazz Hands

Is there a part of Ireland you plan to move to?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,568 ✭✭✭zg3409

As said there is hardly any accomodation in Ireland, daft.ie website is a good start but even if the price is ok there is no guarantee they will rent it to you, even if you are there in person. Most will not want to rent for only 1 year, instead prefer someone staying longer. Most places want you to have a job and regular income.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,086 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Serious housing crisis, especially in cities.

Very high price level, meaning a high cost of living.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,517 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Rent is very expensive in major cities.

Having your own car is almost a requirement if living outside of most urban areas.

I suspect most landlords would like to see you in person, and you to see the property before committing to renting but maybe some would entertain face time calls etc.

Depending on your personal situation and preference, house sharing (where you rent a room) is much more widely available in Ireland than it is in Europe. This is usually advertised locally or on facebook or the likes. Such agreements can be more short term or informal than a full rental agreement.

Unless you know exactly where you want to live, I would consider smaller towns of 15K to 25K people as a base and from there you can travel to larger urban areas.

Check out Daft.ie where you can select options for full properties or sharing. You could express some interest in places without committing to rent and very quickly you will get an insight in to what people are looking for from prospective tenants. Another advantage of sharing is it is often easier to break the lease than a full property.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭xyz13

Don't do it

Petit a petit l'oiseau fait son nid...

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭ingo1984

I'd seriously reconsider. There is a dire shortage of rental properties and some of the prices charged are obscene. You are also competing with local authorities and county council's when bidding on properties and they've a bottomless pit of cash and are solely focused on securing properties by any means to bring down homeless/emergency accommodation numbers. Outside of accomodation, the cost of everyday living is grossly expensive and is ever increasing. I'm my line of work I had workers transfer from India in the hope of a better life, they returned to India within six months as they get more bang for their buck there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭notAMember

Wilkommen! Ireland is one of the hardest countries in Europe to find accommodation in at the moment. It's also very high on the Nanny State rankings, so I would be prepared for that culture shock of when you can and cannot buy beers etc. You'll find recycling, transport and standard of healthcare very different. Other than that, you'll be fine. both are in the EU, no visa issues and most people are friendly.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Movintoireland

Alright people, I appreciate the concern, I really do,

but life isn't gonna wait for me, and it's not waiting for you either. It's not always gonna give us the perfect opportunity to do what we want to do. So why let yourself be dictated by that?

I want you to ask yourselves, what do you feel worth spending money on? A nice bottle of wine? A new car? Tickets to a concert? All I hear is "expenses" and it is true, I am a frugal person and I understand the sentiment behind it. It's an argument that is practically tailored for me. But at the same time, what will you do with your wealth if not spend it on something that makes you happy. Hoard it and never spend it? I could live with my parents until I'm 40 and save on money, but does that sound like the ideal life to you?

I am aware of the difficulties, however my mind is already set. Of course it's always a chance, it's always a gamble no matter what you do. We can't be certain of anything we ever do, but if you don't take it, how are you ever to find out.

So next time, please read your assignments over carefully, was the question "convince me otherwise" or "what are some things I can do to prepare for the upcoming challenges". If someone asks you what they can do to prepare for a ski trip do you just tell them not to go because it doesn't coincide with your values? That is not what that person asked for.

Anyway, I don't mean to be doting, but I know someone will take this personally, and to them I wanna say that I still thank you for looking out for me. However all the advice that goes beyond "you see it's difficult right now" help a lot. I'd love some more of that <3

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭mistress_gi

The best thing to do is book temporary accomodation to the place you want to move to and look for places, start with Daft.ie, set a search and call or email as soon as the properties becomes available.

I was able to sort out accomodation remotely but i was already living here and was away for an extended period of time.

Make sure you have rental references available, i disclosed my financial situation in the introduction email.

Like others have said it is hard to get something right now and it's improbable that you get something while you're not here but I don't think it's impossible.

If you need more info feel free to IM me, i am happy to help you make your dream come true 😊

Post edited by mistress_gi on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,056 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Do you have any existing connections in Ireland? Any particular part of the country you'd like to live in? Presumably you'll be looking for a job — any idea what kind of job?

And, presumably, you're coming alone? Not moving with a partner or children?

As others have said, find accommodation will be a challenge and, to answer the question raised in the OP, yes, you really need to be on the ground, and goind to view places in person. If you're a young adult/studenty kind of age, your best strategy might be to book into a hostel for a few weeks and use that time to hunt aggressively for accommodation. If you're not averse to shared houses and the like you can often connect up in hostels with other people who are looking for something a bit longer term, or you can find out about rooms in shared houses, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭j.s. pill II

A detailed guide on all the practicalities of moving to Ireland, including rights of residence, study, and work, is available from Citizensinformation.ie

Citizens Information also provides an outline of available health care services in Ireland, including public and private health care and health insurance.

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭RurtBeynolds

You asked what you needed to know, people are telling you.

If money is not a problem, then book an air bnb for a month or two to allow you to find a permanent place to live. Everything else is easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭tinytobe

The residential property market, regardless if you're renting or buying will leave your jaw dropping. Even if you're lucky and able to secure a one bedroom apartment with a letting agreement, your tenancy rights will be almost non existent, - even if you pay the rent always and on time. That is if you're even considered by the landlord, and we haven't even mentioned on how high the rent is going to be.

You're most likely going to book an AirBnB online for one month and then look for something further, - however, you'll most likely end up sharing a house or an apartment with a bunch of strangers. You might find this adventurous in the beginning, but in the long run it's not a good choice. Housing is scare not only in Dublin but also in the country.

If you're from Germany, even Munich and Frankfurt or Stuttgart will be cheap to live in, compared to Dublin. Even Zurich in Switzerland is cheaper and offers more value when renting.

Also health care isn't the best. HSE is even worse than the British NHS, ( albait this is debatable ) however you will need to consider a private healthcare provider whilst in Ireland, to remotely get the standards you're used to from Germany.

Regarding jobs, stay away from all the US American multinational customer service or inside sales roles unless you want a good name on your CV for some time. They are almost always short term in practical life, albait they do everything in the beginning to give you a welcoming feeling. They would also often only hire, based on your language skills but would always deny that outright. They hire, but they also fire, the atmosphere can be anywhere from unrealistic to backstabbing to aliby-work and are only in Ireland for low tax reasons. There is also a high turn over in all of these companies and roles. If you put up a fight when they try to fire you, you'll be blacklisted, not getting a job anymore in the industry. Of course they deny that as well. Some managers have alcohol problems and end up in Ireland because they can't get work in their home countries anymore. Sadly I have first hand experience with those jobs.

Ireland can be beautiful in terms of countryside, it's very tempting wanting to live and work there, also in terms of pub culture and general in terms of ease of getting on with people it's way better than Germany. However be aware that there are clear set problems in Ireland.

If out in the country, you're well advised to bring a car from Germany, keep it German registered and German insured, and try to get away with it with some excuse, if somebody demands a registration in Ireland. Irish car insurance is way higher than you've ever dreamt compared to Germany.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Annascaul

All of this said here is true.

However what we don't know is how much in savings he or she would bring to Ireland.

I'd imagine something between 500 and 700 k and a purchase of a property with own finances would certainly make a difference, and that together with an arranged job.

It's not impossible, with the right kind of money.

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭Fritzbox

Every year thousands of people come to Ireland to live and work and they make a success of it. Many of them have or will remain in the country for decades. I don't see why you won't be equally successful. If that's what you want to do, you will do it.

It's not impossible to do it successfully. Who knows how much money the OP will bring to Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭DataDude

Hyperbolic comments like this really aren’t helpful for the OP. House prices in Dublin are much cheaper than Munich.

Car insurance for middle aged adults with a no claims bonus is down to between €300-€600. For someone with 0 no claims bonus I’ve seen €900-€1000 which will then quickly fall for OP after he builds up a no NCB. Hardly a figure the OP ‘has never dreamed of’. It’s an irrelevant cost for most people on good Dublin salaries.

You just look at the quality of construction in Munich and compare then with Dublin, - I'd say then your answer would be a different one as well.

Also economically there is much more background in Munich than in Dublin. I think Munich has like 7 or 8 different DAX noted companies, all home grown and operating internationally. In Ireland it's very much US and foreign investment.

Thank you everyone for all the support!! I'm so happy for all the help!

(Although I gotta emphasize again.. if someone comes up to you, talking about how they wanna go on vacation in Japan, you're not gonna tell them to go to India instead because it's cheaper and has more benefits. Why don't we all just move to the cheapest place there is? Because that's not what moving or living somewhere is about)

I don't have more to add, I just wanted to say how grateful I am for all the messages (all this just convinces me more to come over there and meet more wonderful people)

• Advertisement

This is a late update but I've officially moved in! I made it, thanks to everybody that showed some support!

Found a beautiful spot in rathmines, just for myself and I'm enjoying it so far

• Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭Dante

Good man, how did you find the accommodation search in the end?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭herbalplants

Advertisement