Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Do a lot of people fail the Theory Test?

Options
  • 18-07-2023 7:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 30,353 ✭✭✭✭

I know driving is different for everybody and we all could have an accident/crash at any time.

One thing that surprised me tough from talking to younger people was a lot of them was failing the Theory Test more than once.

Now I know there's certain elements that you need to learn such as stopping distances, thread depth but I picked a lot of it up from being in the car and paying attention.

Is it common to fail the theory test?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,053 ✭✭✭User1998

The only reason you’d fail is because of a lack of study. Believe it or not even experienced drivers can fail without studying. I let both my parents do a mock test when I was studying and they both failed.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,737 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Yes it's common, so much so there was a crime gang operating to sit driver theory tests. You would have to wonder the driving skills of someone who can't pass a theory test.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,652 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

I'd bet a fiver that most experienced drivers would fail the theory test unless they did significant prep work beforehand.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,460 ✭✭✭vandriver

My 17 yo daughter downloaded the app,studied and got 39/40.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,223 ✭✭✭Miscreant

When I did my theory test, there was a guy on his 7th attempt which he also failed. The staff in the centre seemed to know him well. Probably had learning difficulties and I imagine he was not alone either.

Not everyone is able to perform well on tests.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

Interesting thing some people may not realise, here you need to do and pass a theory test BEFORE you apply for a learner permit, in the UK you need to pass a theory test and a hazard perception test after you have a learner permit but before you can do a driving test.

• Registered Users Posts: 903 ✭✭✭thegame983

You just need to keep doing the mock tests online. You will fail repeatedly, but after a while you will be getting max marks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭Glaceon

My wife failed it and she had a full licence from another country. But then she passed the actual test first time.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 keane10

You just need to learn and remember the right answers off by heart by doing the mock tests consistently. I kept doing them until I was passing every time and the got 40/40 in the real test.

I remember on the day though there was some young people of around 17/18 who were walking out of the test centre having failed.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 keane10

Yes. I had already passed the UK theory & done a high number of lessons in the UK when I moved back to Ireland but I had to start from scratch again which meant taking the Irish theory and doing the minimum of 12 lessons before I could do a test.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,213 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

I failed mine first time because I didn't study enough. I was cycling on the roads for about 5 years at the time so had good knowledge in that regard, I probably thought I'd coast by.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 paul15139

It might depends where and what app/website you use to learn the rules of the road. Some of them are not up to date with the latest questions and that might be the cause.

There are some free websites online that offer mock tests and are constantly up to date. I'll paste them below just incase anyone needs them.

www.theory-tester.ie

www.theory-tester.com

www.theorytest-ireland.com

Advertisement