Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HELP - mains smoke alarm keeps beeping waking 13 day old newborn

Options
  • 18-07-2023 6:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭

Hi everyone

we have a mains smoke alarm in a new build that keeps beeping and for the life of us we can’t get it to stop. I’ve tried to lift off the cover using a variety of ways but it only seems to tear itself off the roof.

we have switched off the mains power, hit the button (for 2 seconds, for 10 seconds, tried em all) and it won’t stop the alarm beeping. If it does stop it might only stop for an hour and go again.

swithcing off the mains doesn’t even stop it beeping.

we can’t get the mains alarm to check if it’s a backup battery needs changing.

If someone could tell us what’s wrong or how to get the cover that would be fantastic. Even identifying the alarm so we can google it would help immensely.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭Wossack

Sure enough I look up and ours looks exactly the same..

These rotate counter clockwise about 30 - 45 degrees and then come away from the base

ours is branded evolec gta-269

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭Hippodrome Song Owl

It looks similar to my newly installed smoke alarms, so I happen to have instruction manual handy - not sure if same model, but may be some help. As above, Evolec GTA-269.

It says that it will beep once a minute and it won't flash red (this would mean smoke) if it is the low battery warning. It says this will continue for ag least 30 days!

Note: It says battery should only be replaced by a qualified electrician or other suitably qualified person.

Here's a photo of instructions.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭luapeffaat

Thanks very much for the above.

i managed to get the top off with the above manual.

mains power for smoke alarms has been switched off, but now I can’t get the battery compartment open.

there are no manuals for these online so the pics above are the only source of information I can find anywhere. The battery compartment seems jammed by some locking mechanism too that I cannot seem to release.

is there anything in the manual about changing the battery? Usually these things have manuals online, but for this product it seems nothing exists

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭luapeffaat

seems like an extreme job to get an electrician out to look at 1 smoke that might need only a 9v battery replaced

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭Hippodrome Song Owl

I'm sorry I've no practical advice for you as I'm clueless about these things, but I will upload images of the full leaflet that came in the box.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭AmpMan

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Thirsty

thank you to the person who posted the photos of the instructions - was going demented trying to change the battery today & finally figured it out thanks to this thread.

Advertisement