Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dusseldorf

Options
  • 18-07-2023 11:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭

Will be staying in Dusseldorf in a couple of week's for 2 days, any good things to do in about the city or nearby, looking online there doesnt seem that much to do? Might jump on a train to Cologne and check out the Cathedral also. Any tips appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,012 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

It's been about a decade since I was there and when I was there it was for work.

It's a nice city, but not a whole pile to do in it other than shop , eat or drink.

Cologne is a good call, you can get a boat on the Rhein down to it for something different, and the cathedral is worth a view.

You could also get a train to Wuppertal and have a ride on their really cool upside-down monorail.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,390 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i've always wanted to go here - it's about an hour on public transport from dusseldorf. basically, they turned an old coal mine and steel plant into a public park.

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭danoriordan1402

great suggestions, thanks !

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭xtradel

If you're a chocolate lover head to the Lindt Chocolate Museum in Cologne (30 mins away by train)

Visit Essen for the UNESCO heritage site of the Zollverein Industrial Museum

Wuppertal for the mentioned Suspended railway

In Dusseldorf the Rheinturm for great views of the city. Altstadt for clubs and beers (Engel if you like rock/metal). Check out the Japanese Quarter if you like Asian Cusine. And if you are into Motors you can visit Classic Remise Dusseldorf which is technically a car showroom but is free to enter and browse the vast collection of supercars both old and new. Its housed in an old railway roundhouse and even has a full service restaurant inside.

Also as a tip for getting around download the mobil.nrw app and once you register your card details you can use it to tap on/tap off thru the app when using all buses, trams and regional trains (excluding ICE/IC trains) anywhere in the state. You will never be charged more than a day ticket would normally cost.

Advertisement