Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

why when you get examined at the doctors does it seem they want you to keep your clothes on?

Options
  • 18-07-2023 12:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 11,731 ✭✭✭✭

here's a curious one for ye - the doctors over here in Ireland when you go to them almost insist on you keeping your clothes on while they examine you .

how can I try and explain this, well I will try as best as I can . you go to your GP. They say just lie down there and pull your shirt sleeve up for me.... then they take your blood pressure putting the cuff over your shirt sleeve -the mere mention of me saying "do you want me to take my shirt off for you" sends them into an almost frenzied panic and they go "no, your grand, just roll your sleeve up!"

They go to listen to you chest and your lungs and they say "just loosen your shirt there" you offer to take it off to make it easier for them and again they refuse and wrestle to listen to your heart whatever with your shirt on and then your back and shoulders with the shirt on (how can they hear properly through the shirt anyway, I would have thought rustling of the shirt would conflict what they are listening for?)

I have an ECG done - "just unbutton your shirt for me there" - do you want me to take it off? i say - "no, your grand" and then put some electrodes on my ankles but dont want me to take off me trousers! just roll em up a bit! (again what if your clothes rustle against the electrodes will that not give a false reading?

This is men doctors and women doctors at my GP and in the hospital.

I am all for one if I am being examined for whipping all me clothes off (well down to me underpants anyway ) I dont mind at all - but there is something so peculiar going on like have they been accused of rape in the past or sued for abuse or what, I dont quite get it when i went to doctors growing up it was whip your shirt off to have your blood pressure taken , it was never just pull up your sleeve or putting the cuff over the sleeve and for other procedures strip all off to the underpants and put on a gown , no wrestling with clothing then , much easier for everyone.

its almost like they are afraid of the naked body ... or are they just thinking about the patient and don't want to embarrass them or make them feel awkward ... but especially when I offer to take my top off or trousers off to help them examine me they almost get frightened LOL .

Comments

Advertisement