Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Replacing silver fillings with white

Options
  • 16-07-2023 9:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭

Hi all,

Apologies if asked before (search doesn't seem to work right for me).

I have a mouth full of silver fillings which I hate - I know most probably don't even notice them but I hate them.

I want to look in to getting them replaced with white fillings. Has anybody got this done before, and how did it go?

My big fears are Cost (no doubt it won't be cheap......much the opposite) and that if the old fillings are taken out (some are there 20 years and more) that the tooth will be shot, and I'll end up in a worse situation. (Some of these teeth were filled by a dentist who was outstanding and a dentist overseas asked a relative where they were filled - because they were so good).

I'm just curious if anybody had it done, and what they thought.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,922 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Depends on which teeth and how big the filling is. Recently got work done myself and two very very old amalgam filling on the back had to be redone. The big molar had to be drilled out and drilled more to remove any decay and was refilled and the smaller premolar was redone as well. I got it done in the dental hospital and it cost three times the amount of a normal filling, so it probably won't be cheap at a standard dentists. Some teeth they won't touch because it could cause it to crack and once that happens you're fecked. I'd leave unless they really do need to be redone. Also the older the filling the chances are the tooth has been discoloured and that can't be done with just a white filling.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 dental_care

The cost depends on the factors like the number of fillings, the size of the fillings, and your location. It's normal to be concerned about the condition of your teeth after removing old fillings. A skilled dentist will take the necessary precautions to minimize any damage to the tooth structure during the removal process.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,146 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I had one replaced (dentist's suggestion, wasn't looking for it) and I ended up having to get a root canal done on the tooth afterwards. I was probably just unlucky I guess but I'll never do it again unless the filling is actually giving me trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,849 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

I actually prefer the amalgam fillings - they're bonded to the teeth better and they are slightly softer. White fillings are stuck to the tooth, and fail more easily, and thats partly because they have less "give" to them.

That said while fillings do look MUCH better. Maybe something to think about.

This will be expensive to do in Ireland though.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭left_hander

How did OP get on? Thinking of the same.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭the O Reilly connection

I had this done not long ago. I had nerve sensitivity for about 2-4 weeks after. I had a ton of amalgam in my mouth. I'm glad to of got rid of it. I also had a 'gold crown' replaced. It turns out it was fake gold. I'm just waiting on the ceramic replacement now.

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭gossamerfabric

done two last year on lower molars. no problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 GayleHarris

I would say leave them be if you are not experiencing any pain with the current fillings that you have in your teeth as the replacement will require your teeth to be ground down even more which is obviously not recommended but if you absolutely hate them then yeah, go for it.

Advertisement