Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hermitage Golf Club

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭Ollieboy

Yes, they are trying to push members out and are down to 350 I was told. I think this year is 3.5k and going up again. Joining also involved. It was never a great members club but was good value in the last few years. I think standard green fee is up over 100

• Registered Users Posts: 15,824 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

OP. Not sure why you say you live in south Dublin so local clubs are off limits. If Hermitage os on your radar, no reason why any of the South Dublin Clubs shouldn’t be. As in I imagine entry fee and subs are going to be on a similar scale.

would be interested in knowing where you are actually based? I’m a member in a north Wicklow club and I’m speculating here based on chats with other members but I would say that there is easily 40% of members based in south Dublin…… I live even further the other side of the M50 toll. I’m 40 minutes away, it’s to far, but I’m a lifer there so it’s just a hit I take. But for most guys in around Blackrock, Cabinteely, Sandyford etc it’s no more than about 20 mins away which I think is a pretty fair commute to play golf. We would all like to live next door to our club but it’s just not possible, especially on the southside.

I think you should list all the clubs within 30 mins drive of your house. They will all have merits and disadvantages. Rule some out straight away. Process of elimination there after. Make sure you play your chosen course a few times before dropping a big wedge. Go in and have bite to eat and few drinks in the bar etc to get a feel for the place. Look at what they do in terms of teams.

you said you are willing to drop a good few sheckles on a joining fee, so in my opinion you should be looking at a proper old school club. It’s going to be a long term investment and somewhere like Grange Castle (no offence to them but it’s a different league) is not where you should be leaning. The older clubs are better clubs and generally maintained to a higher standard.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭blue note

This makes perfect sense for the businesses, but is a real problem for ordinary member clubs. When times are bad the fancy clubs will slash their prices and the normal clubs will hemorrhage members to them on top of those they'd lose just due to them cutting back. It's a downside of the freedom golfers have now to move clubs every few years.

Well if there is a hefty joining fee as most well established (Dublin anyway) clubs have, then you are bringing in members who are making a commitment and likely to stay around

the crash of the tiger saw such cheap membership subs with no joining fees, and special discounts for new members. It created the nomad golfer who jumped from one club to the next with no loyalty and wasn’t good for any of the clubs really.

so freedom to move around is not a good thing IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭Macker1

@Seve OB I think freedom to move around is acceptable but if the golfer is a nomad it should come at a cost €€€ so that the commitment of golfers choosing to join a club is big decision that has implications to their wallet.

I would like to see a more incentivized approach by clubs to reward the loyalty of members making a commitment to a club and sticking to it. It could be that the longer you remain a member that some additional benefits are awarded on a phased basis.

It could be along the lines of a slight reduction in membership subs, extra credit at bar/restaurant, free lessons, use of the buggies, free range balls.

Obviously it would have to be carefully worked out so that financially it makes sense for the club.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭left_hander

@Seve OB thanks for all the input above. I am based in Terenure, on the Harold's Cross end of it. 

I'm inclined to agree with you and maybe driving to golf is just something I have to suck up. That said, I'd gladly pay a few quid to avoid a "golf commute" a couple of times a week. I get that when electric cars become the norm the green issue goes away a lot but at the moment I do view it as a consideration also. 

I'm in my late 30's so a joining fee doesn't bother me as it is a lifetime investment, assuming I live long enough to reap the benefit of it!🙂

I could drive as far as Bray or Lisheen Springs for example but they are still 35 minutes in quiet traffic to get there from home, which totally rules out evening golf for the most part. The problem is, I've a young family so that extra hour makes it a longer weekly activity! 

Hermitage is 20 minutes which was why it piqued my interest. I'm going to give this summer and autumn seeing if I can establish what exactly the situation is with many of the local clubs, and realistically how long it will take to get in - I suspect it'll be a 5+ year process which I might just have to wait and either join as pavillion or 5-day, or just sit it out and play somewhere else while I wait. 

Thanks everyone for the input above.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,104 ✭✭✭benny79

I would join The European club straight down the motorway & one of the best links courses in the country! A mate of mine is a member and he lives in Perry's Town

Lol, the European is easily another hour onto his day so it’s a non runner. It’s not a really a club either is it?

I guess where you are living is a bit of an issue because outside of early Saturday or Sunday morning really, the traffic is just going to make it a pain to get out even just as far as the M50.

You have got Castle, Grange, Milltown & Elm Park almost on your doorstep, but I have no idea on joining them places and only ever played Castle & Elm Park which are 2 fine clubs and courses (Castle is better).

A little bit further you have Edmondstown & Rathfarnham beside each other (to long since I played then but ok courses from recollection). Not to far from them is Stackstown which I actually don't mind. Lots don't like the hills on it, but I think it's a good option for you. Beside that there is Killmashogue which is a 9 hole that I haven't played and believe is not great. I don't think I have played Ballinascorney since they moved from Ballinascorney (which wasn't much better than alright).

Out the Tallaght road there is Slade Valley but I'm personally not a fan. There is 1 very good golfer on here who lives in your neck of the woods and is a member of Lisheen which is a fine track. Stay away from Butter Mountain. It's a bit further to Tulfarris (nice resort course) and Blessington lakes (not a fan)

As you are considering Hermitage, then lots of decent west Dublin courses very close, Newlands, Palmerstown, Naas, Castlewarden, Beech Park, Killeen, K Club (The Hibernian Club - K Club Straffan course and a cheap option), Carton House, Lucan. Probably wouldn't recommend anything further north than Castleknock or Luttrelstown with possibly Westmanstown as they are getting further away especially in traffic. Maybe at a push Margarets, Corrstown or Forest Little (stay away from Elm Green and Sillogue)

Then you are left with further south. In Dublin you have Foxrock which is a fantastic 9 hole and Dub Laoghaire. You don't want to be looking at Leopardstown or Stepaside and I've never played Carrickmines but it's never really been spoken about. Woodbrook is a great old school club and lovely course.

In north Wicklow you have great options in Powerscourt, Old Conna, Bray, Delgany, Greystones and Druids Glen right on your outside limit.

My Mate does it in 20 mins 🤷‍♂️ It is very old school club. He won he club championship there last year!

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 53,365 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Pretty sure Leopardstown, Carrickmines and Stepaside don't even have mens membership.

if he is telling you that you are awful gullible to believe him. Googled it. 70 km from Perrystown. So he averages 210kmph to get there in 20 mins. 😂

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Lots of club choices listed OP, I'd phone em up and ask to go out with members to see does the course catch your eye. I'd start with Lucan and Hermitage as having played most of those courses they would be my choice (in that order)

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

God you have way to much time on your hands 😂😂😂

• Registered Users Posts: 17,653 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Post edited by Mantis Toboggan on

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

either that or i don't like the smell of bulls1t 🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 1,538 ✭✭✭Luckycharm

Edmonstown/Rathfarnham are decent courses about 20 mins from you both tight enough prob some kind of joining fee, Stackstown isn't that bad about 3/4 hilly holes rest are fine. Castle/grange/elm park/Milltown all have very big joining fees and waiting lists (due to location). Lisheen is about 25/30 mins away decent course, lucan is only a big further than Hermitage. I would be surprised if Hermitage didn't have a big joining fee and waiting list as well.

Castleknock could be an option as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Stanley 1

Exactly, it's a lot easier and quicker if you fly it.

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Stanley 1

Usedto know a guy called, Paul Bray, very good amateur, who played out of Hermitage, anyone know what happened to him, did he go pro or what............

• Registered Users Posts: 11,300 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

They’ll get a(nother) rude awakening at some point. The price gouging on tourists coming into the country will eventually bite and the tourism will drop off.

• Advertisement

Thanks for that list Seve. I've pretty much narrowed it down to Hermitage, Lucan, Edmondstown, Rathfarnham and maybe a couple further afield like Beech Park and Castlewarden (whcih are still only 30 minutes away from here so not too bad).

I'm not much of a drinker but I'd like somewhere where I could have a pint the odd time get home on public transport so Lucan and Hermitage fit this brief.

I hope to play these in the coming months and see where things go from there.

Thanks for everybody's help.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭RoadRunner

Don't forget to factor in the price of additional golf balls & mental health counselling if you plan to join the European 😍

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Just an opinion, I prefer salt n vinegar versus cheese and onion

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,849 ✭✭✭Russman

Just a thought Op, I wouldn't necessarily be put off initially by being told somewhere is full. Purely by chance I've had about 4 people I think in the last two weeks who have told me they've just gotten in to, or are in the process of getting in to, some of the clubs mentioned as being full or with waiting lists and big joining fees. Usually its a variant of "...I know a few members" or "....my mate is on Committee" etc., but you never know. I sometimes wonder how many are actually full or are just being strict with their vetting.

That is interesting and good to know. My big problem is my lack of knowledge of people in many clubs. Its a tough one to get in to most of the top golf clubs without knowing anybody. My ideal would be to get to know somebody in Edmondstown/Rathfarnham/Newlands/etc and see if they would propose me for membership but I don't know anyone! 🙂

I did consider getting a GUI from some club down the country and just playing opens and seeing who I could get to know - the problem with that is that I'm working Monday-Friday so most open comps in these clubs don't work for me time wise.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,538 ✭✭✭Luckycharm

Another way to get into the bigger clubs is through Pavilion membership, some of the clubs give you a GUI, reduced rates on courses/comps etc. Also a cheaper way to see if you like the course/club. If you are young enough much easier to get in an Intermediate member, generally up to age of 32.

I wouldn't be bothered with pavillion membership. I get the idea Luckycharm, and have asked around and some clubs which would be on my radar charge up to 1k for it, with massively restricted playing rights (I get that there's slots on the time sheet but largely they don't suit me). If I was retired, I'd consider it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭damemcd

Don't know if you're fixed up but I play in the Hermitage and if I can help pm .

Advertisement