Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Can dealer give old stock/model car?

Options
  • 16-07-2023 11:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭

I'm wondering what the legality around the dealer giving old stock of a car is, which has notable differences in between the latest release of the car.

Through the status updates provided by the dealer on the car, mine was just manufactured recently but the car they gave me was manufactured at the start of the year, hence the older model.

When I asked them why it's the older model, they just said, there was a price increase and only those who paid the new price got the new model. But multiple people have gotten the new model on the old price.

The dealer has given me a different car which was manufactured for me, likely to get rid of their old stock. Is there anything I can do here?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,524 ✭✭✭carsfan2

whats the make and model?

is there a significant difference in the model years specs and price?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,053 ✭✭✭User1998

If you ordered an old model then they have every right to give you an old model. It’s just tough luck that a new model was released shortly after you ordered.

If you specifically ordered a new model then thats a different story

• Registered Users Posts: 51,166 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

How much difference in price is there between what you paid for your car at the time of ordering versus if you were to order the latest version of the same car today?

Manufacturers change model specs all the time especially in recent times were there are certain component shortages, these changes usually mean price adjustments too. Some dealers/manufacturers honour the original prices while others have not been so charitable. Really can depend on how easy they think they can sell the car to someone else if you don't want it.

If your talking about a facelift/revamp model then that tends to be a different story, facelifts usually means a substantial price increase and I don't think they are under any obligation to give you a facelift model if you ordered a cheaper old model at the time. You always have the option to pull out of the deal and see how they react but if it's a popular model in short supply then they may not be too bothered whether you do or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭Explosive_Cornflake

Legality? Nothing illegal about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭Timfy

Ordering a new car from a dealer doesn't guarantee that it is freshly minted. Case in point that I know of was the 2nd gen Honda CRV, specifically in the UK. On release, thousands were produced in one trenche and stored at various locations. This was around 2001 but you see them registered from 2002 through to 2006. Some of those "new" cars had been sat in a field for 4 years!

The photo shows a car storage facility that was near me at Greenham Common... it held 6,600 new cars (Not Hondas in this case)

No trees were harmed in the posting of this message, however a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭doctorg

I guess my question is that, based on the updates which the dealer has been giving, my specific car was manufactured in May. But the car delivered was manufactured in January. So clearly, its not the same car which was associated with my order. The price difference is only about 1K but at the same time, those who order before me were given the new model with the same price.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,534 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

I'm confused by you saying a car was manufactured specifically for you. That would be a fairly rare event.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Why won't you say what make and model the car is?

• Registered Users Posts: 73,415 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Factory orders, or orders allocated to a customer pre-delivery are quite common.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,534 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

I know, I've been there but the OP was being much more specific than that and intimated that a car manufactured for him went elsewhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,942 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

As the others have said. You can push back but if its a model that's in demand they will cancel your order and sell the car to the next person in line.

You got the car you ordered. Do you want to risk loosing it for a car you didn't order?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭standardg60

You got the car you ordered, if others got an updated model, then that's akin to getting an upgrade to a hotel room that's been oversold, highly doubt that's actionable.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,300 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Seems odd to me.

You were on the system and waiting on the may built car and given updates on the may build.

You are now given a January build. Very odd.

Is it just a spec charge we are talking about or a whole new model?

Post edited by mickdw on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,554 ✭✭✭hoodie6029

Wonder how many of those Swifts are left on the road? Be surprised if it was in 3 digits. Saw one the other day and had to look twice to be sure I wasn’t seeing things!

OP, I’ve an 2009 mk1 C5, production end for that in Nov 07. I’ve be seen a 2010 one on DoneDeal. Plenty of mk1 Octavias out there too for years on 04-08 plates.

The road to Hell is paved with good intentions.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,166 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

The Mk1 Octavia was sold along side the Mk2 for ages, only with one engine and trim level though but a few grand cheaper than the Mk2. Lots of taxi drivers bought them.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭M3CS

When exactly did you place the order with the dealer?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭cpoh1

Its a real Irish market thing, we often see older model stock that the UK public wouldnt accept being sold here at slight discount. Qashqai +2 stopped manufacture in late 2012 yet was still being sold as a "new" car in ireland well into 2014 when the x trail had been introduced.

Its linked to the Irish obsession with car registrations.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭TheAnalyst_

Did you order it to your specifcation?

• Registered Users Posts: 73,415 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

There are UK regged Qashqai+2 models too, so it’s definitely not a uniquely Irish thing. They stopped production in 2013 ahead of the launch of the newer Qashqai in Jan 2014

The newer XTrail was launched in July 2014, so it’s totally normal for them to have stockpiles of the older model to see them through.

They were selling the Qashqai+2 in Russia up until last year so again it’s nowhere near a uniquely Irish/Paddy thing.

Advertisement