Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Over-the-Counter Parts

Options
  • 15-07-2023 4:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭

Many years ago, when I had Triumph bikes, If I needed a part I could just go into a place off Baggot St and pick up anyrhing I needed, same day. Now everything seems to have to be ordered online. Is there anywhere in or near Dublin I can get bits over the counter, same day, for instance, brake calliper parts, for my Honda CBF500?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

Freddy Dobbs on YouTube is looking for a gasket for his Bonneville and he's been quoted three months to get the part... I don't think they even had a manufacturing slot organised for the part until someone was looking for one and they realised they ran out... I'm not sure manufacturers give a **** anymore if you're able to get the part or not... I triumphs case, they've been shamed into action... Good luck getting them off the shelf

• Registered Users Posts: 18,877 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

I doubt many places carry stock anymore, especially non consumables.

Too many people order online for it to be worth a businesses time to hold stock, especially when people will complain that its more expensive than online.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭newmember2

I can't remember the last time I bought a non-consumable part from a bricks and mortar store, and same day - you're talking maybe Mountjoy back in the day. Micks Garage was good for next-day in some instances back when they were doing Honda parts. Contact TwoWheels to see what they have in stock but I'd be fairly certain it's just consumables they hold.

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Hocus Focus

You would think parts for Nissin brake callipers would be considered to be consumables. It's not as if the brakes were made by the bike manufacturers, they're common to multiple models of bikes across a whole range of manufacturers.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,877 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Very few people break their calipers so most changes would be planned. They will order then in from a cheap online store rather than pay extra from a bricks and mortar store. If there was a demand for these parts then stores would stock them. They won't keep stock that's rarely asked for, even main car dealers throw out new parts that are sitting on shelves.

• Advertisement

Callipers don't break. In my case the brakes started dragging and the bike became very heavy to push. A quick examination found that on the rear brake the pad hanger pin was corroded and worn.

I had started out by ordering, from an Irish-based online seller a "Brake Calliper Rebuild Kit" whose description included seals, washers rubber boots, a bleed screw and a hanger pin, for the rear calliper which was causing most of the problem. A few days later a kit arrived which did not include a hanger pin. I contacted the seller who said he would send the required pin. Unfortunately he sent the wrong pin, and almost a week later the correct one still has not arrived. In the meantime I started to dismantle and clean up the calliper, only to discover that the piston was pitted, and sleeve of the large pin was severely rusted under its rubber boot. I searched online for any place in Ireland I could buy those items, in person or online, and discovered none even listed the sleeve. I now need to dismantle the front calliper to discover what horrors lie within, before proceeding with more online purchases, from UK or EU, which will take another week to arrive. It's just a good thing I'm not in a hurry to use the bike for a daily commute or whatever.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

Update:

Over a week after ordering, I have heard nothing from Nutjobparts about my pistons, and SportsBikeShop.com have sent tracking details which inform me that my order for brake pads is "inprogress", whatever that means:(

You would think so, yes.

The pads on my '21 GW are the same as a Fireblade, and yet no-one had pads, not even the importers.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

So today my parts from Nutjobparts finally arrived (eight days after being ordered), and when I looked carefully at the package, I discovered that their address is in Ballymount. That's literally twenty minutes away from me!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭TedBundysDriver

I order anything i need from these guys. Delivery usually is 3 working days 5 at the most.

Ballymount could make it either M50 of Megabikes - I wonder if there's a link (to either)... ?

Ode To The Motorist

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭martco

any recs on buying parts online for BMW?

ta

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭Miscreant

Could be Cotters either, although not as likely as M50 Honda or Megabikes. 🙂

• Registered Users Posts: 11,905 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Europes largest Honda part supplier.. I'd guess it to be M50 honda.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,905 ✭✭✭✭GBX

• Registered Users Posts: 33,938 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

OP I'd advise going with either David Silver Spares or CMSNL.

Unfortunately the days of buying parts over the counter, even consumables, are long gone, Mountjoy's stockroom used to be all but infinite!

A couple of years ago I tried to get a very popular type of Nissin front brake pads in Bikeworld, they didn't have... what's the point of a parts counter with no parts?

Life ain't always empty.

Advertisement