Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wear and tear relief

Options
  • 14-07-2023 9:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Hi I am purchasing a property and intend to rent it out for the first few years. The property has an expensive kitchen with integrated appliances, and bathroom fittings etc are all top notch. Can I claim wear and tear on them even though I will have no receipts ? Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭black & white

I don't think so, AFAIR you can only claim on receipts and do it over 8 years, 12.5% per year. Maybe someone more up to date will have different information

• Registered Users Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭DubCount

Dont think so. There are a couple of issues. First, all of the expensive kitchen was part of your purchase, so its going to be set against any Capital Gains Tax liability in the future, not offset against Income Tax. Secondly, even if you purchase the kitchen separately from the house, the cost of the kitchen would be considered a pre-letting expense (because it was purchased prior to you starting to rent out the property) and would not be allowable for income tax.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,836 ✭✭✭enricoh

A friend did this with high end furnishings and fittings in his rental. He is no longer a landlord. Be super selective op, best of luck with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 LimerickX

Thanks All. I thought I would be able to and could base it off the value of the contents that I would be insuring. So fair enough if that's completely wrong. Thanks for advise.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭herbalplants

No you can't

Living the life

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭DFB-D

Talk to your accountant!

Generally - white goods = yes

Building fixtures (e.g. cabinets, sinks, etc) = no.

But be very careful of valuation you put on them.

Advertisement