Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tooth Whitening.

Options
  • 12-07-2023 10:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭

Is there any effective method for whitening my teeth which have become quite yellow in recent years due to a combination, I suppose, of middle age and regular caffeine (tea) intake. I'm talking about over the counter kits, gels, pastes etc or old wives type of home remedies rather than very expensive cosmetic treatments at the dentist ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Teeth whitening with a Dentist isnt a very expensive cosmetic treatment, certainly not in comparison to other cosmetic treatments. The otc products all have limited concentrations of whitening agent, while they may have a small whitening effect on some people’s teeth, most find little to no long term benefit.

If you want it done right, pay a professional, if you want to try and do it yourself, it will still cost you, and you will not get the results you are looking for and may even damage them using the “old wives” remedies you read some nutters spouting on the interweb.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭chicorytip

Yes, your point of view makes very good sense and is well expressed. I will make enquiries. My own dentist doesn't do cosmetic type of work but may be able to recommend somebody.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭newmember2

Get a dentist to make a silicon mould of your teeth and the it's usually injecting hydrogen peroxide gel into the mould and then putting the mould in your mouth over your teeth while you sleep. You'll see an improvement within a few days but best to abstain from heavily staining food and drink during the treatment.

It isn’t usually hydrogen peroxide, the EU prohibits sale of Hydrogen peroxide above 6% by dentists and 0.1% otc.

Op, only take advice from your dentist.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭waynescales1

Get Crest 3D whitening strips. I used a box of 20 over a period of months on my very yellow teeth and they transformed them. On a scale of 1-10 (10 being as yellow as a tooth could possibly be) my worst affected teeth went from an 8 to about a 3/10. Extremely happy with the results. I don't make many cosmetic product purchases but that was the best one I ever made, by some distance.

No pain or sensitivity issues using them either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 dental_care

Don't try random DIYs on your teeth. There are several whitening kits available in the market but most of them are filled with harsh chemicals and regular use can potentially harm your teeth. It's better to visit a dentist to get your teeth whitening done smoothly and safely.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭Sugar_Rush

I was just going to ask where I can buy the gel for whitening trays?

10% carbamide peroxide is available in some dental clinics but it's so slow.

I tried hydrogen peroxide before and that was a little better, but where can I get it in Ireland?

In physics we trust....

The concentrations you are looking for can only be legally supplied by Dental Clinics. They are not available to the public over the counter. 16% carbamide peroxide is widely used by Dentists to whiten patients teeth, though it can cause a little more sensitivity than the 10% during treatment.

Post edited by Dav010 on

Is that whitening done in office, or can by supplied to take home with custom molds?

And 16% would be the highest? (carbamide peroxide)

In physics we trust....

Take home.

16% is the highest which can be used in EU.

• Advertisement

As above it seems inevitable that a little gel is going to touch the gums, even with custom molds.

Does 16% burn at all?

And I know many will leave 10% CP in overnight.

Is there a recommended time to leave 16% gel on the teeth?

In physics we trust....

You need to discuss with your Dentist, he/she will run through the procedure with you.

The reason for limiting concentrations is to ensure that even if it touches gingiva, it will not damage it.

I have no problem commenting on it, here it is:

Chinese seller sells gels online which are banned in the EU, stupid people buy it without knowing how to use it and the potential harm it can do.

My thoughts are, buy it if you want.

Just from a rookie perspective, they're being sold on amazon US, why would you think they're made in China?

By example, these here:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005003342444269.html?spm=a2g0o.cart.0.0.59ac38daN7HwVV&mp=1

I know for sure they're Chinese.

Re harm, I know a dude locally that used 16% CP gel from his dentist and ended up breaking a front tooth due to weakening.

Potential harm with these Chinese brands could extend beyond that?

I'm not second guessing the condemnation, I'm just genuinely curious how Chinese acid differs from US acid (like Opalescence), such to make it less advisable to use.

In physics we trust....

Your friend didn’t break his tooth because he used 16% carbamide peroxide.

Regarding your question about why I think it is Chinese made, maybe you should do a little more research.

Seller:

Shanghailiangkunshiyeyouxiangongsi

Business Address:

泗通路246号1幢1101室

泗泾镇

上海

松江区

上海

CN

Reseach.

I actually did and could only find a business address in Calafornia.

How did you find that out? (share the secrets)

But additionally, as I assume you're familiar with dental whitening on a more advanced level, can you enlighten me as to how Chinese made whitening peroxide may differ, and what additional damage it may cause?

Opalescence by example, are apparently all US, but they're so much more expensive and I wonder what could make them so different?

In physics we trust....

Reason I'm looking for slightly higher percentage gels than 16%, is cause I literally can't tolerate leaving the trays in overnight.

I was hoping for maybe a couple hours whitening per day, but I can't keep them in longer.

Would 16% CP provide any meaningful whitening for that length of time?

In physics we trust....

If you want to know about what type of whitening is best for you, which concentrations are safe, and legal to use here, make an appointment with your Dentist. If you want to buy off the internet, then like everything else, you take your chances.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,808 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

The only effective way in my experience is to make regular appointments with a dental hygienist.

I have a pretty average diet food wise. But I probably have a few too many coke zeros over a week for my dentists liking….I don’t drink tea or coffee or eat any confectionery / sweets, barring a couple and I mean a couple of those Cadbury’s mini rolls a few nights a week..

my dental hygienist gave me the lecture once on tooth care having got implants and by the end if I’d have listened to her I’d have such a restrictive diet I’d end up having no sauces on food & drinking only water for a lifetime, she means well and she’s absolutely brilliant at cleaning teeth but…. there is meaning well and being realistic…

• Advertisement

This teeth whitening deal sounds like it's on a strict "need to know" basis.

PS - I've done the "speaking with my dentist" thing many times over.

Reality is I can't tolerate having trays in for long enough such the lower percentages are effective.

However, if I had insight into the difference between Chinese manufactured gels and apparently safer US gels (which are sold in percentages up to 35, or 44?), it's possible I could make a better informed decision.

In physics we trust....

Dental cleaning/hygiene don't really effect color/whiteness.

And dentist I've ever spoke to recommends at-home trays and whitening gel.

In physics we trust....

If you need to know about teeth whitening, ask your dentist. As you have already done this and are looking for cheap alternative sources for unlicensed products, then you are on your own.

Different jurisdictions have different regulations for teeth whitening materials. What may be legal, and deemed safe in the US, is not always in the EU. So if you want to buy something which legally cannot be provided by a Dentist in Ireland, your “need to know” doesn’t extend beyond what is considered safe, and legal to provide here. As I said, if you want to buy concentrations above what is deemed safe, then that is your call, I presume you are an adult so you take responsibility when you go against what your dentist advised.

First look at a study of potentially unregulated products:

This suggests they may contain chemicals which can irreparably damage teeth/gingiva.

That is legitimate concern.

Using a slightly higher percentage that's not advised for at home whitening though, is something I could live with (as they're used in in-office whitening).

So from my point of view, potential contamination of ingredients from say, Chinese unregulated vendors, associated damage?

Or using different ingredients than they claim to use.

In physics we trust....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,197 ✭✭✭PopTarts

They're still banned in the EU as far as I know (because they contain "too much" Hydrogen Peroxide). I bought them on eBay from a non-EU European country a few years ago, you might find some there. I see some options when I Google them, you could try one of those, I can't vouch for them though.

The product itself is very effective though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭chicorytip

How long does the whitening effect last, in your experience?

That’s completely dependent on how you treat your teeth. I will say that my teeth are still far, far whiter than they were before treatment, years later, and I drink three cups of tea a day.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 jeffersonsam

Most of the people are likes to keep their teeth white. This is not a good idea, but teeth whitening treatment is makes the teeth white. At the same time , you should spend some much amount of money. Following some natural remedies also helps to keep the teeth white, but it will take more time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 bridgetharrisnyc

When it comes to achieving a brighter smile, many people consider professional teeth whitening at the dentist. However, this option can be expensive, leaving individuals searching for more affordable alternatives. Fortunately, there are effective teeth whitening options available that won't break the bank.

1. At-Home Teeth Whitening Kits

One popular and cost-effective option is at-home teeth whitening kits. These kits typically include whitening gels or strips that are applied directly to the teeth. Some kits also come with LED lights to enhance the whitening process. Consider the following advantages:

• Convenient and easy to use.
    • Gradual but noticeable results.
    • Affordable compared to professional treatments.

2. Whitening Toothpaste

Switching to a whitening toothpaste is a simple and budget-friendly way to enhance your smile. Look for toothpaste containing baking soda, hydrogen peroxide, or activated charcoal for effective stain removal. Benefits include:

• Integration into your daily oral care routine.
    • Cost-effective compared to other options.
    • Reduction of surface stains over time.

3. Oil Pulling

An ancient practice gaining popularity for its teeth whitening benefits is oil pulling. Swishing coconut or sunflower oil in your mouth for about 15 minutes daily is believed to remove toxins and whiten teeth. This natural method offers:

• Improved oral health.
    • Affordable and readily available oils.
    • Gradual but noticeable whitening effects.

4. Baking Soda and Lemon DIY Paste

Create a DIY teeth whitening paste by mixing baking soda with lemon juice. Apply the paste to your teeth for a few minutes and then rinse thoroughly. Be cautious with this method, as the acidity of lemon can erode tooth enamel. Benefits include:

• Inexpensive ingredients.
    • Quick and easy to make at home.
    • Potential for visible results.

5. Professional Whitening Clinics

While professional dental treatments can be expensive, exploring options might yield more affordable alternatives. Research local dental clinics and inquire about their teeth whitening services. Benefits may include:

• Competitive pricing.
    • Customized treatment plans.
    • Professional supervision for safe and effective results.

You can visit Broadway Family Dental for professional teeth whitening at an affordable price!

I hope that my advice will be useful to you )))

Advertisement